Step up your pasta sauce with this Slow Cooker Short Rib Ragu recipe. The pasta sauce is simmered together with short ribs and served with gnocchi.
Gnocchi is a fun pasta to add to the slow cooker, also try my Chicken, Kale and Gnocchi Soup.
Hello! This Slow Cooker Short Rib Ragu is inspired by a recipe I had a while back in an Italian restaurant in Portland. They served a rich short rib ragu over little gnocchi. Before I had that meal, the only time I’ve had gnocchi was in the olive garden soup. The short ribs give the sauce so much rich and beefy flavor and the wine makes it even better.
Below is what the short ribs and sauce look like before cooking, note I did brown the ribs before adding them to the slow cooker.
Here is what it looks like after cooking for 7 hours. The sauce has deepened in color and the ribs are falling off the bone.
After the cooking time has finished, I remove the short ribs and shred the meat, discarding any fatty pieces. Before I add that meat back into the sauce I degrease the sauce by laying paper towels over the top. Works so good!
To serve this, I boiled a box of gnocchi on the stove top. I highly recommend trying it, you can find the gnocchi above the dried pasta in the store. You can serve this over regular pasta if you would like.
I hope you enjoy this meal, try it this week! I’ll be back soon with more recipes.
Try one of these pasta recipes next time:
- Slow Cookef Cheesy Chicken Penne
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Pasta
- Slow Cooker Easy Spaghetti Dinner
- Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Slow Cooker Short Rib Ragu
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 lbs. beef short ribs (bone-in)
- 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (I use Rao’s tomato basil sauce)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine (I like to use a red blend)
- Set a large skillet on the stove top and set to medium high heat. Add the cooking oil when the pan is hot. Brown the short ribs on all sides, no need to cook through.
- Add the browned short ribs to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the spaghetti sauce, add the onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and wine. Stir
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours on low.
- When the cooking time is done remove the short ribs, remove the meat from the bones. Discard the fatty pieces and bones. Before adding the meat back to the sauce. I like to degrease the sauce by laying paper towels over the grease and lifting quickly. Discard paper towels. Add the meat into the sauce and stir.
- For serving I boiled a 16 oz. box of Gnocchi (dumplings) and then stirred them into the sauce. These stood up to the sauce very well and didn’t get soggy. We didn’t eat for over an hour after I added them to the sauce. I found the gnocchi on the top shelf above the dried pasta in the store. You can serve this sauce over any noodle as well. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!