Forget the canned stuff this year! Make the best Slow Cooker Candied Yams from scratch with this easy recipe.
Hello! I am sharing a holiday side dish today for you. My husband adores southern style candied yams and I finally took the time to make them from fresh yams, from scratch!
In years past I’ve been delegated to pick up the canned yams and often I can’t find them. Now that I know how easy it is to make these from fresh yams, I won’t have to go searching for canned.
How to make Candied Yams:
- Start with thick-sliced red garnet yams (peeled).
- Add a cornstarch and water slurry, melted butter, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and molasses. Wait to add the brown sugar.
- Full ingredients amounts in the recipe card below.
How long do I cook in the slow cooker?
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours, the yams will break apart very easily and thicken even more after being stirred.
- After the cooking time is up, add the brown sugar and stir.
I don’t have a slow cooker, how do I make yams?
Here are my recommended recipes for if you don’t have a slow cooker.
How long will these keep on the warm setting after being cooked?
- These candied yams will keep for 2-3 hours on the warm setting.
- Stir them often and add water if they seem to thicken too much.
Stay tuned the next few weeks and I will be sharing more holiday recipes. Have a great week!
Slow Cooker Candied Yams
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 4 lbs. red garnet yams
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (add at the end)
- Peel the yams and slice into 1 inch slices. Add to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the water and cornstarch. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the butter, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon cloves and salt. Wait to add the brown sugar. Stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- After the cooking time is done, add the brown sugar and gently stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
- These candied yams can keep on the warm setting for 2-3 hours on the warm setting after being cook.
- Stir the yams often and add water if they seem to thicken too much.