Forget the canned stuff this year! Make these Slow Cooker Candied Yams from scratch.
Hello! I am sharing a holiday side dish today for you. My husband adores candied yams and I finally took the time to make them from scratch! In years past I’ve been delegated to pick up the canned yams and often I can’t find them. Now that I know how easy it is to make these from fresh yams, I won’t have to go searching for canned.
I start with thick sliced red garnet yams. I add a cornstarch and water slurry, melted butter, cinnamon, cloves, salt and molasses.
4 hours later the yams are falling apart tender, see below. I then add the brown sugar to sweeten.
Stay tuned the next few weeks and I will be sharing more holiday recipes. Have a great week!
Slow Cooker Candied Yams
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 4 lbs. red garnet yams
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1.5 cups brown sugar (add at the end)
- Peel the yams and slice into 1 inch slices. Add to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the water and cornstarch. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the butter, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon cloves and salt. Wait to add the brown sugar. Stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- After the cooking time is done, add the brown sugar and gently stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
You may also like: Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham