Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is a great addition to any holiday meal.
There are so many green bean casserole variations! This version is very decadent with the added cheese. If you are looking for a green bean casserole recipe without cheese, you can check out my other version.
I don’t know where I saw a cheesy version, probably on facebook. I had to give it a try since I love trying new recipes and well, cheese makes anything better. I think this cheesy version would be great with ham or turkey.
Below is what the casserole looks like before adding the remaining French fried onions. How do the French fried onions get toasty in the crock pot you ask? They don’t. I gave the French fried onions quick sauté in a dry skillet, then sprinkled them over the casserole.
Another option is to put the crock pot insert in the oven for about 10 minutes to give the onions some color, or you can be completely lazy and put them on the casserole right of the container, I actually think they taste just fine this way!
Have you started shopping for your holiday dinner? My fridge and pantry are stuffed to the brim. Not only do I have Thanksgiving dinner to worry about, my daughter Lola is turning 8 that same weekend. I am making her a big Garfield cake with fondant icing. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving!
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup (do not add water)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 58 green beans (Four 14.5 ounce cans green beans) drained
- 6 oz. container French fried onions, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, milk and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir until smooth.
- Add the green beans, half the French fried onions and half of the cheese. Stir.
- Sprinkle over remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours.
- You have 3 options for the remaining French fried onions. You can add them without crisping to the top of the casserole. Or place the crock pot insert with the French fried onions on top of the green beans in a 350° degree oven for about 10 minutes until crisp. Or put the French fried onions in a skillet and toast them until golden brown (this is what I did), then sprinkle them over the casserole.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can set the slow cooker to warm for your holiday gathering.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Dennis buhr says
Is that correct you only use one half of milk.
Sarah Olson says
Yes, you can add a touch more if you think it needs it. Most green bean casseroles don’t add much milk.
We didn’t have cream if mushrooms so we substituted with cream of chicken! It tasted geeat
Can I make this with fresh green beans? If so how much would I need?
I am wondering the same thing did you try it? If so how long did you cook it or did you use the same recipe
I can’t wait to make Thanksgiving! Would canned or frozen green beans be okay to use?
Sarah Olson says
Yes! will work fine either way.
Would it be okay to double this? and how much additional time would you recommend?
Sarah Olson says
I have a bigger recipe and the cook time is the same. I hope that info helps! https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-green-bean-casserole/
Karla M Curry says
This was really good! Although I used three bags of frozen green beans (mostly thawed) and made my own condensed soup with 1/4c butter + 1/4c flour + 1/2c broth + 1/2c almond coconut milk. Whole family loved it! Will make again!