Make the best beef stroganoff in the slow cooker! Only takes a few ingredients and tastes just like mom would make.
My mom would make this recipe on the stove-top but she used ground beef. I subbed out beef stew meat because the slow cooker does such a great job tenderizing the meat.
How to make Beef Stroganoff in the crockpot:
- Beef Stew Meat Cubes – or 2 pounds of beef roast into cubes.
- Brown Gravy Mix – I use McCormick
- Water – Use only 1.5 cups (note- this is less than what the packages of gravy call for, using less will produce a thicker sauce).
- Seasonings – Thyme, oregano, and black pepper
- Yellow Onion – Diced
- Mushrooms – Sliced
- Egg noodles – Do not add to the slow cooker raw, cook on the stove-top according to package directions and drain well before adding, at the end of the cooking time
- Sour Cream – This is the key ingredient in the dish, makes the sauce mellow and creamy. Add this at the end of the cooking time as well.
- Whisk together the two brown gravy mixes and the water until smooth.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker, no need to brown.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and seasonings over the beef.
- Pour over the gravy mix and water.
How long do I cook?
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Cook the noodles on the stove-top as directed on the package.
- Add the sour cream into the sauce and stir until smooth.
- Add the drained noodles. Stir and serve
Can I use a different type of noodle?
- Yes! You can use 8 ounces of any pasta you would like, even whole grain.
- Cook according to package directions and drain well before adding to the slow cooker.
Can I serve this over rice instead of adding pasta?
Yes! Just skip adding the pasta to the sauce and beef and spoon this beef stroganoff mixture over hot steamed rice.
Can I use low-fat or non-fat sour cream?
Yes, you can, but the consistency of the sauce will be thinner.
Can I use a different kind of meat?
- Meatballs – Use 1 pound of frozen meatballs, but cut the timing back to 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high.
- Ground beef – Be sure to brown and crumble the meat before adding to the slow cooker
- Chicken – You can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs, and make chicken stroganoff. Change the brown gravy packets to chicken packets. Shred the chicken before adding the noodles and sour cream.
What do I serve with beef stroganoff?
- Serve alone with no sides if you are in a hurry or low on groceries.
- Green salad or green vegetables.
More slow cooker recipes with beef stew:
- Slow Cooker Steak Burritos
- Slow Cooker Easy Teriyaki Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Chili
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat (raw cubed beef)
- 1.74 oz brown gravy packets (2 .87 oz. packets gravy packets)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. dried leaf thyme (not ground)
- 1/2 tsp. dried leaf oregano (not ground)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Add these items after cooking time is up:
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. egg noodles cook according to package directions on the stove top
- Add stew meat, onions and mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the thyme, oregano and pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the water (only 1.5 cups, not what the packages say) and gravy mixes. Pour over the meat and veggies in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Add the sour cream, stir until smooth.
- Add the drained cooked noodles, stir and serve!
How to Video:
- Meatballs – Use 1-2 pounds of frozen meatballs, cut the time down to 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Ground beef – Be sure to brown and crumble the beef before adding to the slow cooker.
- Chicken – You can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs. Use chicken or turkey gravy instead of beef. Shred the chicken before adding the noodles and sour cream.