This recipe for Hot German Potato Salad is from a friend of mine Judith Hannemann. Her cookbook The Classic Slow Cooker has just been released. It was on QVC last month and it sold out the first airing! I am thrilled that I got my hands on this book and get to share a recipe from it here with you today.
This Hot German Potato Salad is much different from your American potato salad. Hot German Potato Salad is served warm, and has a slightly sweet taste to it. It wasn’t something that I have ever tried before, but I really enjoyed it! My husband loved it too.
Other recipes I want to try from her book are her Fruited Short Ribs and the Maple Meat Loaf. I’m sure there isn’t a bad recipe in this book. I’ve been friends with Judith for a while now, and all her recipes are unique and delicious. The book is a gorgeous hard cover, and there is a photo for almost every recipe.
This recipe is from Judith Hannemann’s Book The Classic Slow Cooker. You can order it here.
- 1.5 lbs. small red potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 4 slices bacon
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. flour
- chives for serving
- Scrub the potatoes and cut in ¼ inch slices.
- Layer half the potatoes and half the onions in a small slow cooker. (I used my 6-quart and it turned out great).
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes and onions. Add the water. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the potatoes and onions on to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Slice the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Brown them in a skillet on the stove-top. Drain on a paper towel.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt and flour in a small bowl, mix until there is no lumps. Add this to the slow cooker, stir until this mixture thickens. Let cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and onion back to the crock pot in to the vinegar mixture, also add the bacon at this time. Gently stir this together.
- Turn to low and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Top with chives if desired.
I was given a book for this review, though all opinions are mine alone.