Five ingredients are all you need to make this delicious slow cooker French onion chicken. Chicken breasts are butterflied before being topped with sliced onion, onion soup, dried onion soup mix, and Swiss cheese. This tender chicken meal is an easy dinner recipe the whole family will love.
Why this crockpot French onion chicken works
One of the top reasons why this French onion chicken crock pot recipe works is because it only calls for just a few ingredients. Whether you’re looking to save money on the grocery bill or find a meal with a quick meal prep and reasonable cooking time, this is a dish the entire family will enjoy. If you love French Onion Soup, then you will LOVE this chicken dish.
Although it doesn’t take much to put this together, it’s still packed with so much flavor. The crock pot chicken grabs its taste from the onion soup’s rich broth and the creaminess from the melty cheese. Overall, with this recipe, you can have a complete meal on the dinner table in just a few short hours from start to finish.
- Chicken Breasts: I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can either find thinly sliced chicken or cut the breasts in half for thinner chicken pieces.
- Onion: A medium sweet yellow onion sliced and slow cooked with the other ingredients not only adds flavor but also provides a little texture with the chicken.
- Onion Soup: Skip making this homemade and grab a can of Campbell’s French onion soup, or use a brand of your choice.
- Lipton Onion Dry Soup Mix: This soup mix is found in packet form and has all the added flavors you’ll need for making a delicious meal.
- Swiss Cheese: You can use the sliced Swiss cheese purchased in the pack or sliced from the deli. Once melted, you’ll have a gooey cheese that takes this baking dish to a new tasty level.
Step One – Place the butterflied raw chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Step Two – Top the chicken with the sliced onions and soup mix.
Step Three – Pour over the canned soup.
Step Four – Cover and set slow cooker to the LOW heat setting for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Step Five – Top the chicken with the Swiss cheese. Cover and cook on low for 30 more minutes.
Step Six – Serve the Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken over rice or mashed potatoes, spooning some of the onion sauce from the slow cooker over the top. Enjoy!
How to serve
- Crock pot chicken recipes like this taste amazing with sides like mashed potatoes and French onion gravy, green beans, or even a fresh side salad.
- You can also serve it on a bed of brown or white rice or pasta noodles or egg noodles for an easy and quick meal.
- Some people like to add crispy fried onions, extra melty cheese, fresh thyme, caramelized onions, and other fresh herbs on top.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
You can use skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you prefer.
For extra flavor, you can sear the chicken breasts in a skillet before placing them into the slow cooker.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
While swiss cheese adds a delicious flavor for this dish, you can substitute it with other types of cheese like classic gruyere cheese, mozzarella cheese, or provolone.
You can use a condensed cream soup such as cream of mushroom.
Yes. Sweet yellow onions taste great but you can also use Vidalia onions, Maui onions, red onions, or white onion slices.
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts (find thinly sliced chicken or cut the breasts in half for thinner chicken pieces)
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion sliced
- 10.6 oz. Campbell's French onion soup
- 1 oz. Lipton onion soup mix
- 8 oz. sliced swiss cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top the chicken with the sliced onions, soup mix, and canned soup.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Top the chicken with the swiss cheese, cover and cook on low for 30 more minutes.
- Serve the Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken over rice or mashed potatoes, spooning some of the onion sauce from the slow cooker over the top. Enjoy!
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breasts if you prefer.
- For extra flavor, you can sear the chicken breasts in a skillet before placing them into the slow cooker.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- While swiss cheese adds a delicious flavor for this dish, you can substitute it with other types of cheese like gruyere or provolone.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.