This Slow Cooker Chicken and Cabbage recipe combines two delicious ingredients for a one-pot comfort food meal to feed your whole family. Simple and usually on-hand seasonings are added for extra flavor. This a dish that can easily be paired with additional vegetables.
Why you should try this chicken and cabbage recipe
Even if you absolutely love to cook, it’s always nice to have simple recipes to make putting dinner on the table easy and quick. There is something magical that happens when you cook chicken and cabbage together! The cabbage is buttery tender after cooking with all day with the chicken.
If you’re looking for an amazing dish for weeknight dinner, this is one to try! All you need is chicken, a head of cabbage, and a few yummy seasonings and spices.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken thighs are the go-to chicken choice for this meal. This cut of chicken provides extra moisture and flavor.
- Cabbage: The size of your green cabbage doesn’t matter since it will be cut, and you can save the extra to cook on the side.
- Butter: This will be quartered and placed on top of the cabbage to help create soft and tender cabbage as well as flavorful chicken.
- Seasonings and Spices: Oregano, salt and black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika are used to make the chicken taste amazing. Some of these flavors will also help season the cabbage.
Step One – Slice the cabbage into thick pieces and add to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Cut the butter into thin pats and place them on top of the cabbage.
Step Three – Add the chicken thighs on top of the cabbage and sprinkle over the seasonings.
Step Four – Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Serve and enjoy!
How to serve
- If you want to add more to the meal, add white rice, a stir fry medley, shredded carrots cooked with fresh garlic, mashed potatoes, or any other vegetables of your choice.
- When it comes to toppings, try a dash of fresh parsley, green onions, or a drizzle of olive oil to add even more amazing flavor.
- This quick chicken cabbage meal also goes well with crusty bread, dinner rolls, or homemade cornbread.
It’s unnecessary because the chicken and cabbage will create their own juice.
Sure! You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or bone-in.
Yes. You can add carrots, fresh green beans, or even Brussels sprouts along with the cabbage.
Add any remaining chicken and cabbage to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to enjoy them, reheat them over medium high heat and warmed throughout.
You could; however, keep in mind that red cabbage is said to have a more bold and more peppery flavor than green cabbage.
You can if you want, but this recipe, in my opinion, is perfect without vinegar.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Cabbage
- 1 head cabbage
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (2-3 lbs)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. dried parsley or oregano (not ground)
- Slice the cabbage into thick pieces and add to the slow cooker.
- Cut the butter into thin pats and place them on top of the cabbage.
- Mix the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the cabbage and sprinkle over the seaoning mix you just made.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours – If you use bone-in chicken, you may need to cook a little longer.
- If you have an abnormally large cabbage, you may only need half of it for this recipe. You just need enough cabbage to line the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add any remaining chicken and cabbage to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to enjoy them, reheat them over medium high heat and warmed throughout.
- Other cuts of chicken you can use are boneless skinless chicken breasts, bone-in chicken breasts or bone-in chicken thighs. All go great with the cabbage.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.