Tater tot casserole is a recipe I love from my childhood! And easy to make in the slow cooker.
What’s your favorite comfort food? Well, my favorite comfort food is tater tot casserole. Yeah, this casserole isn’t the most glamorous meal you can make, but it’s sure delicious! Another version I have on the blog is my John Wayne Casserole, it’s a southwestern version of this.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole in the slow cooker:
- Brown the hamburger and onion in a skillet and drain the fat. Add cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir until everything is combined.
- Add half a bag of frozen tater tots to the bottom of the slow cooker and then add green beans, then the rest of the tots.
- Pour over the meat mixture and spread out to an even layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
What are tater tots?
If you are in the United States you are probably familiar with what tater tots are, but other regions have asked me many questions about tater tots.
- Tater tots are a potato product that is crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. They are made from grated potato that is shredded and formed into a cylinder shape and deep fried.
- In the UK tater tots may be called Potato Crunchies or Mini Hashbrowns.
- In Canada, you may find them labeled as Spud puppies or Tasti Taters.
- In Australia or New Zeland, they may be called Potato Gems or Potato Royals.
More great tater tot recipes:
- Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
- Chili Tater Tot Casserole
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Cheesy Tater Tot and Steak Breakfast Burritos
- Loaded Tater Tot Dip
The flavors all come together after slow cooking. Try this recipe out this week and leave a comment on what you thought. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 32 oz. bag tater tots
- 2 14.5 oz. cans green beans, drained (or 1 small bag frozen)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat add the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is brown. Drain fat.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, milk and salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Add half of the tater tots to the slow cooker, spread them out to an even layer. Add the green beans next. Then the rest of the tater tots. Pour over the beef mixture. Spinkle over the cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. Serve and enjoy!
First Published: 03/25/2013
Other slow cooker ground beef recipes you’ll love:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Lightened Up Hashbrown Casserole
- Slow Cooker Six Layer Dinner
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Beef and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash