Slow Cooker V8 Chili has plenty of vegetables in it because of the V8 juice in the sauce! This recipe makes a big batch of chili, enough to freeze or share.
The recipe was given to my husband from his best friend’s mom Janet. She gave him a handwritten recipe card with this recipe on it. Her recipe is made on the stove-top and mine in the slow cooker.
What is V8 juice?
V8 juice has eight different vegetables in it. I mostly taste tomato, but it also has carrots, beets, celery, parsley, spinach, watercress, and lettuce. I love that the V8 juice adds depth to this chili recipe that canned tomatoes can’t. You can make other recipes with V8 juice such as bloody mary’s, goulash, or even spicy braised pork.
How to make:
You will need these ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Stewed tomatoes
- White onions
- Garlic powder
- Chili Seasoning Packets
- V8 juice Original
- Kidney beans
- In a large skillet on the stove-top, brown the ground beef until cooked through.
- Add the stewed tomatoes to the slow cooker and cut them into quarters using a butter knife.
- Add the cooked ground beef and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Add the lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
Can I use ground turkey?
Yes! Ground turkey is so good in chili. I love how much flavor turkey gives the broth of soups and chili. Brown the ground turkey the same way as the beef in this recipe, you’ll have great results.
Can I make this vegetarian?
Yes! Try one or more of these options to make this V8 chili vegetarian.
- Use soy crumbles instead of beef
- Add more beans such as pinto or garbanzo
- More veggies such as bell pepper, celery, corn and sweet potatoes
What to serve with this:
This is one of the very few chili recipes that I can eat without toppings but I know it’s fun to have an array of choices. Here is what I set my table up with alongside the crockpot of V8 Chili.
- Saltine crackers
- Shredded cheese
- Diced Sweet Onion
- Sour Cream
Other great slow cooker chili recipes on the Magical Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Slow Cooker Texas No Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Chili
- Slow Cooker Venison Chili
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
Slow Cooker V8 Chili
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. ground beef,
- 30 oz. stewed tomatoes (2 cans) not drained
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2.50 oz. chili seasoning packets (2 packets)
- 30 oz. kidney beans (2 cans) drained and rinsed
- 64 oz. V8 juice original
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- In a large skillet on the stove-top add the ground beef. Brown and drain.
- Add the stewed tomatoes to the slow cooker. I like to cut them in quarters right in the slow cooker with a butter knife. If you are skilled with a paring knife you can cut them up by hand.
- Add the ground beef to the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic powder, pepper, chili seasoning packets, drained kidney beans and V8 juice.
- Stir and add the lid. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.