Slow Cooker Texas No Bean Chili is hearty even without the beans! This chili also doesn’t have tomatoes, just great spice and beef flavor in this meal.
There are so many variations of chili, which I am thankful for. I can’t eat the same chili every week. This version comes from Texas where the creators of this type of chili feel very strong that it should not have beans or tomatoes in it. Does it still taste like chili you ask? Yes, it does! This recipe has a 1/4 cup of chili powder and I added Anaheim chile for an extra kick. A thick sauce is formed by adding flour to the seasonings that coat the beef cubes. This recipe requires a few minutes of stove top cooking to form the sauce, but that bit of extra time is worth it.
Below is the sauce and beef before cooking. I add onion, Anaheim pepper and garlic.
I cook this on low for 9 hours so the beef will shred easily.
I baked my cornbread the night before while the house wasn’t so hot, then the next day all I had to do to serve dinner was to plate it.
More Slow Cooker Chili Recipes here:
- Slow Cooker V8 Chili
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Chili
- Slow Cooker Venison Chili
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Poblano Chili
- Slow Cooker Copycat Wendy’s Chili
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Beef and Bacon Chili
Slow Cooker Texas No Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat cubed
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper this makes the chili extra hot, leave out if you don’t like extra hot
- 28 oz. beef broth (Two-14-oz. cans)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion (One large onion) finely diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper minced
- 2 tsp garlic cloves minced
Options For Serving
- cheese shredded
- onion diced
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper, mix well.
- Add the beef cubes and stir to coat them evenly.
- In a very large skillet set to medium high heat, add the cooking oil.
- Once hot, add the flour coated beef cubes and cook until browned, no need to cook through.
- Add the beef broth to the pan, and stir until a thickened sauce forms, be sure to scrap up any meaty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add this beef mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, Anaheim pepper, and garlic; stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time. If desired shred the meat up with 2 forks.
- Serve on cornbread and top with cheese and onion.