This classic recipe for Slow Cooker Salisbury steak is tender and has plenty of gravy, goes great with mashed potatoes.
Hi all! This Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak is a classic recipe that I’ve wanted to put on my website for a while.
I made a version of this with cube steak a few years ago, not only did that not turn out well, I cooked it too long and the patties were as hard as a rock. Making patties from ground beef is the way to go.
How to make Salisbury steak in the crockpot:
- Ground beef
- Crackers – Ritz or Saltines
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano
- Gravy – For a thick gravy I use cream of mushroom soup, gravy mix packets, and water (less than what the packages call for). I also add thyme for added flavor.
- Mix: Combine the patty ingredients until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Shape: Shape into four patties.
- Brown: Add oil to a hot skillet and brown the patties on both sides, no need to cook through.
- Gravy: Mix the gravy packets, cream of mushroom soup, water and thyme until smooth.
- Add: Add half of the mushrooms and onions to the slow cooker. Then add the patties and the rest of the mushrooms and onions. Pour over the gravy mixture. (full recipe below)
How long do I cook?
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 4.5 hours, do not open the lid during the cooking time.
Can I use ground turkey?
Yes! Use ground turkey instead of beef and also change the gravy packets to chicken or turkey.
What goes good with Salisbury Steak?
- Mashed Potatoes or Baked Potatoes
- Steamed Rice
- Green salad
Need more ground beef recipes?
- Slow Cooker Taco 15 Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
For the patties
- 1 lb. ground beef 7% fat
- 1/2 cup crushed crackers I use Ritz, but saltines work great too
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil (for browning the patties)
For the gravy mixture
- 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup I use roasted garlic variety
- 1.74 oz. brown gravy mix (two .87-oz. packets)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 white onion sliced
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, crushed crackers, egg, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Mix together with clean hands, don’t over mix. Form the meat into 4 patties. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, gravy packets, water and thyme until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil and pan are hot add the patties, brown on both sides. No need to cook through.
- Add half of the mushrooms and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the patties on top. Add remaining onions and mushrooms on top of the patties. Pour over gravy mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4.5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
- Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes
- Steamed rice
- Green salad