This Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Corn has more cheese than your usual recipe. This over-the-top side dish is a must-try for your next get-together.
What is ham and cheese corn
This Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese corn is like the corn you’d find in a barbecue restaurant. This isn’t your average creamed corn; it must richer. It has a sauce similar to mac and cheese. We loved it with grilled steaks! My husband said this corn casserole would be great for a potluck, and it’s something different from the usual sides.
- Corn – Three bags of frozen sweet corn. Frozen corn holds up well in this recipe.
- Ham – Can use leftover country ham or packaged ham. Cut into cubes and brown in oil on the stovetop.
- Onion – Adds a bit of crunch and flavor to the corn.
- Cheeses – A blend of velveeta and cream cheese will make the BEST creamy cheese sauce for this corn
Step One – Brown the ham in a hot skillet with a touch of cooking oil. Add to the slow cooker along with the corn and onion.
Step Two – Cube the Velveeta cheese and cream cheese, and add on top of the corn. Stir.
Step Three – Cook on HIGH for two hours, stirring at the halfway point.
What to serve with this?
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Sandwiches – Use your other slow cooker to make barbecue pulled pork.
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Ham – Yes, there is ham in this recipe but this cheesy corn is great with it. When I am serving with sliced ham, I use bacon instead of ham for the corn.
- Grilled Steaks, burgers or hot dogs – This corn is a great side when you are barbecuing. Such a change than the regular barbecue sides.
- As a dip – Just grab a bag of tortilla chips at the store and you will have THE BEST hot corn dip you have ever tried.
Yes! Fry up one pound of bacon and drain. Add the bacon at the beginning of the cooking time.
You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and put them in the fridge. I don’t recommend cooking ahead of time, for it will take just as long to reheat this as it does to cook it.
Yes, though I would add a splash of milk to thin out the sauce.
Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Corn
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 36 oz. frozen corn (3-12 oz. bags)
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. Velveeta cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the cooking oil. Brown the ham. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the frozen corn to the slow cooker, no need to thaw. Add the onion and pepper. Stir.
- Cut the Velveeta and cream cheese into squares and place on top of the corn. Set the slow cooker to high, the total cooking time is 2 hours. Stir half way through and occasionally after that.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.