You’re just four ingredients away from making an easy and delicious French Onion Dip. No need to use a baking dish because your crock pot will handle it all in one dump-and-go method. This hot onion dip recipe is sure to become an appetizer favorite.
Can I make French Onion Dip in the crockpot?
Absolutely you can and I highly recommend giving it a try! It is the best dip ever! Similar to baked onion dip, all you need are just a few key ingredients. Anything extra you want to add is just an extra perk. I like what the slow cooker does the the dip mixture.
The heat marries all of the flavors together and gives you a chunky dip that can be enjoyed with your favorite crusty bread or crunchy vegetables. This is my go to appetizer when I want something quick to serve at a super bowl football party, potluck, or holiday gathering. Most people say it’s hard to stop eating once they start.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream gives this dip a creamy texture as well as a nice tangy taste.
- Cream Cheese: This will need to be softened. I recommend putting it on the counter the night prior to the day you want to make this dip.
- Swiss Cheese: Shredded Swiss cheese adds a creamy texture and also keeps it an ivory-looking color.
- Onion Soup Mix: I suggest getting the Lipton brand. It adds more flavor all at once versus using lots of different seasonings and spices.
- Step One – Add everything to the slow cooker.
- Step Two – Stir everything together until well combined.
- Step Three – Cover and cook on HIGH for 1.5-2 hours. Do not overcook or it will turn out burnt looking. Lightly browned sides are okay. Stir, sprinkle with chives, and serve with slices of bread (or vegetables). Enjoy.
How to serve
- One of the best ways to serve this appetizer is directly from the slow cooker. You’ll want to turn the pot to the KEEP WARM setting to prevent further cooking and turn it OFF completely once half of the dip is eaten.
- When it comes to pairing it with something else, go for your favorite crusty bread, grilled bread, or slices of vegetables (think celery, green bell pepper, carrot slices, or other vegetable tray-like options).
- If you’re serving this dip for a game day, transfer the dip to a large serving bowl and add dipping options around it. It makes a nice centerpiece for a charcuterie board and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
If your cream cheese is still cold, microwave it for 30 seconds.
Yes. You’ll just want to adjust the cooking time to make sure it cooks thoroughly. Be sure not to cook it too long or the edges will start to turn a darker brown.
You can easily swap the Swiss for Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, or freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
One of the easiest ways is to add minced jalapenos and diced sweet onion or Vidalia onions. Once the cooking time is up, add a dash of cayenne pepper on top.
Yes. With the prep time being just minutes, you can mix everything in a mixing bowl and store it in the fridge (covered) until you’re ready to cook it. This is a great recipe that can be made days ahead or just a couple of hours before serving.
You can put them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge or use an oven safe dish to make reheating it super quick and easy. I doubt there will be leftovers because it’s sure to be a big hit!
More Slow Cooker Dips
- Slow Cooker Queso Spinach Dip
- Slow Cooker Pizza Dip
- Slow Cooker Hot Pimento Cheese Dip
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Sin Dip
Slow Cooker French Onion Dip
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. swiss cheese shredded
- 1 oz. lipton onion soup mix
- baguette slices
- Add everything to the slow cooker and stir. If your cream cheese is stil cold, microwave it for 30 seconds.
- Cook on high for 1.5-2 hours.
- Stir, sprinkle with chives and serve with slices of bread. Enjoy.
- Nutritional information does not include bread.
- You can easily swap the Swiss for Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, or freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- You can put them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge or use an oven safe dish to make reheating it super quick and easy. I doubt there will be leftovers because it’s sure to be a big hit!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.