Beef stew in the slow cooker with all those summer veggies from the garden. Makes a for a perfect hearty meal.
This Slow Cooker Farmers Market Beef Stew was a last-minute idea. I love standard beef stew but I thought it would be fun to change it up this week. On my mail route, I’m lucky to have 4 produce stands along the way. The produce stand I stop by almost daily is Lone Pine Farms. I can get a snack for work and get my produce shopping done at the same time.
For this Slow Cooker Farmers Market Beef Stew I used my trusty beef stew recipe but added more vegetables that are in season now. I added fresh corn off the cobb, red onion, and fresh-cut green beans. It turned out amazing. The corn still had a great crunch, and the green beans were cooked perfectly.
I also had extra time in the morning add the ingredients for homemade bread in my bread maker (I use the delay cycle). I don’t think anything could be better than walking in the door after working all day to beef stew and homemade bread.
More slow cooker beef stew recipes:
- Slow Cooker Beefy Bacon Man Stew
- Slow Cooker Classic Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker A.1. Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Stew
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.
Slow Cooker Farmers Market Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. Stew Meat or 2 pounds any lean roast cut into 1 inch or so squares
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 28 oz. cans beef broth (two 14-oz. cans)
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs. red potatoes quartered or diced 1 inch or so
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced large
- 1/2 large red onion, diced large
- 2 ears of corn, cut the corn off with a knife
- 2 cups fresh green beans snipped and cut in half
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme in a big ziplock bag. Shake, then add the stew meat.
- Shake to coat the pieces evenly.
- Brown the meat in the cooking oil on all sides, you don’t need to cook the meat through. You may need to cook the meat in batches.
- Put the meat into the slow cooker.
- Put the pan back on the stove and de-glaze the pan with the beef broth, and tomato paste, scrape up any brown bits of meat and flour into the sauce. This will only take a minute or so.
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onions, corn and green beans to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a big stir.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
Carol Walker says
The farmers narkets are closed this time of year.
Would this still be good if I was to use frozen corn and green beans instead of fresh.
OMG so delicious!
I’ve made this several times now, and it has become my favorite crockpot meal! My husband loves it too, and really enjoys taking it for lunch leftovers the next day.
Jennifer @ Crockpot Gourmet says
Yum!! I can practically smell the fresh baked bread now! What a wonderful idea. I’m so jealous that you have a produce stand to shop at! 🙂
Grandma Kc says
It looks delicious and there really is nothing better than walking in to all those wonderful smells at the end of the day. Sadly, they closed the Farmers Market that was nearest to us and I have yet to find a good replacement for it.
Sounds warming and delicious! I love the combination of veggies and so jealous of your 4 produce stands. lol I have just one that I know of, but am so new to my area there could be more that I’m not aware of yet!
This is SO calling my name! Stew is my absolute favorite and love how you made it “farmer’s market” style – super yum!
Rachael Yerkes says
Oh my gosh! I can’t believe how amazing this looks. I want to get my butt out of bed and make this right now. Craving it. Pinned!
Marion@Life Tastes Good says
Oh my goodness! Your house must have smelled AMAZING when you got home! This looks absolutely, perfectly comforting, Sarah!
Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen says
I always start thinking of beef stew at this time of year. Looks wonderful!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads says
SO hearty and delicious! Definitely my kind of meal! Great post!
Renee@Renee's Kitchen Adventures says
I love slow cooked stews this time of the year! Looks delish!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
Oh, I love this recipe! 🙂 It is always fun to get fresh, tasty veggies from the farmers market and then make an incredibly delicious recipe from them. Pinned.
YUMMMO!!! Thanks Sarah for posting to TWS!