This Slow Cooker Farmers Market Beef Stew was a last-minute idea. I love standard beef stew but I thought it would be fun to change it up this week. On my mail route I’m lucky to have 4 produce stands along the way. The produce stand I stop by almost daily is Lone Pine Farms. I can get snack for work and get my produce shopping done at the same time.
For this Slow Cooker Farmers Market Beef Stew I used my trusty beef stew recipe but added more vegetables that are in season now. I added fresh corn off the cobb, red onion, and fresh-cut green beans. It turned out amazing. The corn still had a great crunch, and the green beans were cooked perfectly. I also had extra time in the morning add the ingredients for homemade bread in my bread maker (I use the delay cycle). I don’t think anything could be better than walking in the door after working all day to beef stew and homemade bread.
- 2 pounds Stew Meat, or 2 pounds any lean roast cut into 1 inch or so squares
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- cooking oil, about 4 teaspoons
- 2 14-oz. cans cans beef broth
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes quartered or diced, 1 inch or so
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced large
- 1/2 large red onion, diced large
- 1-2 ears of corn, cut the corn off with a knife
- 2 cups fresh green beans, snipped and cut in half
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme in a big ziplock bag. Shake, then add the stew meat.
- Shake to coat the pieces evenly.
- Brown the meat in the cooking oil on all sides, you don't need to cook the meat through. You may need to cook the meat in batches.
- Put the meat into the slow cooker.
- Put the pan back on the stove and de-glaze the pan with the beef broth, and tomato paste, scrape up any brown bits of meat and flour into the sauce. This will only take a minute or so.
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onions, corn and green beans to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a big stir.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!