You can make Italian bruschetta chicken in your slow cooker! Tender chicken breasts topped with melty mozzarella and a homemade bruschetta tomato topping that has ripe tomatoes, garlic, shallot, and balsamic vinegar.
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a dish that originated in Italy. This recipe has many variations, but it usually entails tomatoes and garlic on top of the bread. The word bruschetta derives from the Italian verb “bruscare,” which means to roast over coals or embers.
Traditional Italian bruschetta is a savory bread topped with olive oil, garlic, and tomatoes. It’s usually served as an appetizer or side dish to Italian dishes such as pasta. We will be doing traditional bruschetta for this recipe but using chicken instead of bread.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – Find the smaller sized chicken breasts so each person can have their own breast. If you can only find large chicken breasts you may choose to cut them in half before or after serving.
- Petite diced tomatoes– I use Italian style with basil and oregano, but you can also use plain canned tomatoes.
- Sliced mozzarella – Try to find fresh mozzarella, it will melt better and is commonly used in bruschetta recipes.
- Garlic – Four cloves go into this dish for intense garlic flavor.
- Bruschetta topping – More garlic, diced roma tomates, minced shallot, thinly sliced basil, olive oil and sundried tomato oil, basalmic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Step by Step Directions
Step One – Add the canned diced tomatoes to the slow cooker.
Step Two – Next, season the chicken with salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings. Add on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the minced garlic on top of the chicken.
Step Three – Cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours.
Step Four – Top the chicken with slices of mozzarella.
Step Five – Cook for an additional thirty minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Step Six – Next, add the shallot, tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, sun-dried tomato oil, and salt and pepper to a bowl—season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step Seven – Mix well. If desired, you can make this earlier in the day, and it only gets better as it sits (place in the fridge).
Step Eight – Top each chicken breast with the bruschetta tomato topping and enjoy!
What to Serve with Chicken Bruschetta
There’s no limit to bruschetta meal ideas and ways you can do with the fresh flavors. It’s easy to substitute low-fat mozzarella cheese, a dairy-free cheese, or even use chicken broth to adjust the recipe to make it for your family. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Serve on top of a sliced crostini bread with a side of steamed broccoli.
- Spoon the cheesy chicken over cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta, then top with fresh tomatoes and basil to make a bruschetta chicken pasta dish for that ultimate comfort food meal.
- For a quick dinner that’s a cool, summer dinner, just add a dinner salad and fresh corn on the cobb.
- Serve the savory dish over zoodles and skip the cheese for a Whole30 option that’s gluten-free, dairy-free and keto friendly.
Yes, since tomatoes are considered keto, bruschetta chicken is keto! What a wonderful meal to change up your week.
The ingredients for this recipe are gluten-free, though be sure to check all your packaging on the ingredients to be safe, for sometimes gluten can be sneaky.
You can make the bruschetta tomato topping ahead of time. The morning before you need it is just enough time to let the flavors meld. Don’t make it the day before, for the tomatoes will get mushy.
You can use regular olive oil or, if you have garlic olive oil and have great results.
I hope this post has inspired you to get out your slow cooker today and make this delicious meal! If you try this delicious and easy Slow Cooker Bruschetta Chicken recipe, make sure to post a picture on social media and tag us!
Slow Cooker Bruschetta Chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced & divided
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (use small chicken breasts if you want a chicken breast per person)
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (Italian style with basil and oregano or plain)
- 4 oz sliced mozzarella
Bruschetta tomato topping: (don't put in slow cooker)
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium shallot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sundried tomato oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic, reserved from above
- Season both sides of chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Pour can of petite diced tomatoes into the crockpot. Arrange chicken on top of the tomatoes then, top chicken with half of the minced garlic.
- Cover, and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours. After 3.5 hours, top each chicken breast with 2 pieces of sliced mozzarella and cook an additional 30 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- To make the bruschetta topping: Seed and chop tomatoes. Dice red onion, and finely chop basil. Add to a bowl with remaining minced garlic. Next add salt, pepper, olive oil, sundried tomato oil, and balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Serve chicken with a heaping spoonful of the bruschetta on top and enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.