If you love one pot meals then you will love this easy Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Casserole!
Hello! This Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Casserole is very similar to my chicken enchilada casserole. Instead of just using enchilada sauce for the base in the recipe I used salsa as well. Beef cooked together with salsa is magical, I learned that with my slow cooker steak burritos recipe.
To make this recipe the beef, sauce and seasoning cook for 8 hours first.
Then I cut up soft corn tortillas.
I stir in those tortillas and a cup of cheese, then flatten out the casserole and top with more cheese. The casserole cooks for 30 minutes longer to get everything hot and bubbly.
Some will ask why I didn’t fry the tortillas. Frying the tortillas is not necessary for an enchilada casserole recipe. I like the texture of the tortillas in this.
When I worked at Marie Callender’s, for the Sunday brunch they had an enchilada casserole, I never missed it. This recipe is very similar to their recipe.
I hope you enjoy this new recipe and have a great week.
Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 2 lbs beef stew meat cubes
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 16 oz jar Pace Picante salsa (I use medium)
- 4 oz can fire roasted green chiles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Items needed to assemble casserole after above items have cooked:
- 12 soft corn tortillas (I use about 12 ounces)
- 3 cups colby jack cheese, divided
- 1 bunch green onion, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Add the beef to the slow cooker. Add the enchilada sauce, salsa, green chiles, garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the cooking time is done. Cut the corn tortillas into strips, add to the slow cooker along with 1 cup of the cheese and half of the green onions. Stir and flatten out with a spatula. Sprinkle over remaining cheese.
- Add the lid back on the slow cooker and continue cooking for 30 more minutes on high. Sprinkle with remaining green onion and tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.