Want an easy way to make beets? Try my guide on how to cook fresh beets in the slow cooker. The slow cooker cooks them similar to roasting them without any effort!
It’s that time of year when the garden is ready to be completely harvested and brought in. Why not cook up some of those beets you have? The beets turn out very tender and have great flavor!
This method of
How to make Beets in the Slow Cooker?
- Start with fresh and firm beets. Wash any debris from the beets.
- Remove any greens from the beets but don’t cut into the beets themselves or they will bleed when cooking. Discard the greens or make a salad with them!
- Place the beets into a large slow cooker. Add 2 cups of water and a half teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high or for 4 hours.
Do I peel the beets before cooking?
- Don’t peel the beets until AFTER cooking.
- Keeping them intact will keep them moist while cooking and prevent them from bleeding out.
- Below is what the beets look like after cooking, don’t fret! Keep scrolling. They are just fine, tender and ready to peel.
How do I remove the skin from beets?
- Let the beets cool down enough that they can be handled. Take a paper towel and rub the skins off the beets.
- Try to resist the urge to rinse the beets, this will wash some flavor off the beets.
Great beet recipes to use up extra beets:
Can I freeze cooked beets?
Yes! Follow my guide for freezing beets:
- Cut the beets into slices or cubes. Spread them out on a sheet pan and freeze for a few hours.
- After they are frozen solid, place them in ziplock bags. Freezing them this way keeps the beets from freezing together and you can take out smaller amounts out of the bags if needed.
- Freeze the beets for up to 6 months.
- Thaw in the fridge before serving.
I hope you aren’t afraid to use the slow cooker for cooking your beets now! It’s easy as can be and no fuss at all! Leave a comment below on how your beets turned out and what you made with them.
You may also like these other how to recipes on The Magical Slow Cooker:
- How to Cook Acorn Squash in the Slow Cooker
- How to Make Turkey Stock in the Slow Cooker
- How to Make Bone Broth in the Slow Cooker
- How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
How to Cook Beets in the Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 4 lbs. fresh beets
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Remove greens from beets and try not to cut into the beet itself, the beets will bleed while cooking if so. Use the greens in another recipe or discard. DO NOT PEEL THE BEETS YET. Wash and add to the slow cooker.
- Pour over the water and sprinkle over the salt.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Take the insert off the heat and let the beets cool down enough to handle.
- To peel the beets, use a paper towel and rub off the skins. Avoid washing the beets for this may rinse off some of the flavor.