I created these adorable Hot Cocoa Gift Jars for Christmas gifts. Most everyone makes hot chocolate during the holiday season and I have so many people to buy gifts for anyway. I made a few extra for our family, so after shopping or on Christmas eve I can easily make a really delicious homemade hot cocoa.
I used half pint wide neck Kerr brand canning jars that I sanitized in the dishwasher. The only layer that takes some effort is the peppermint layer. For peppermint layer I put starlight candies in a large ziplock bag, and with a rolling-pin, crushed them.
For making the prepared jars of cocoa mix into hot cocoa, add the entire jar of prepared cocoa mix, and a 1/2 gallon of whole milk to a 5-quart or larger crock pot and cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Or for the stove-top, cook on medium heat until melted and heated through.
This cocoa prepared is not overly sweet, it is just right. This makes about 8 servings of cocoa, I put the leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the microwave for the next night, still tastes great.
- Bottom layer- ¼ cup white sugar
- Layer two- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Layer three- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candies (candy canes or starlight candies)
- Layer four- ½ cup chocolate chips (1/4 cup white chips, ¼ cup semi-sweet chips mixed together)
- ½ gallon whole milk
- Add the layers down evenly into a ½ pint wide neck canning jar. Place the lid on, and decorate if desired. Don't heap any of the measurements or you won't be able to get the lid on. Add a hand written label with instructions.
- Crock Pot: In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, add the contents of the gift jar and a ½ gallon whole milk. Stir, cover and cook on HIGH for about 1.5 hours until warm and everything is melted completely, stirring occasionally.
- Stove-top: In a large pot, add the contents of the gift jar and a ½ gallon of whole milk. Heat on medium-high heat until warm and everything is melted completely, stirring occasionally.