Make cute hot cocoa gift jars for gift this year!
These cute jars go in the slow cooker along with a half-gallon of milk for a perfect treat.
I created these adorable Hot Cocoa Gift Jars for Christmas gifts. Most everyone makes hot chocolate during the holiday season and I have so many people to buy gifts for anyway. I made a few extra for our family, so after shopping or on Christmas eve I can easily make a really delicious homemade hot cocoa.
I use half-pint wide neck Kerr brand canning jars that I sanitize in the dishwasher. The only layer that takes some effort is the peppermint layer. For the peppermint layer, I put starlight candies in a large ziplock bag, and with a rolling pin, crush them.
For making the prepared jars of cocoa mix into hot cocoa, add the entire jar of prepared cocoa mix, and a 1/2 gallon of whole milk to a 5-quart or larger crock pot and cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Or for the stove-top, cook on medium heat until melted and heated through.
More hot drinks to make in your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Candy Corn Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Mulled Wine
- Slow Cooker Eggnog Lattes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
This cocoa prepared is not overly sweet, it is just right. This makes about 8 servings of cocoa, I put the leftovers in the fridge and reheat in the microwave for the next night, still tastes great.
Hot Cocoa Gift Jars
Per Jar (1/2 Pint Size Jar, I use Kerr wide neck)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (regular granulated sugar, not powdered)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies candy canes or starlight candies
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- Mix together the semi-sweet chocolate chips and the white chips in a small bowl, set aside.
- Add the layers down evenly into a ½ pint wide neck canning jar, starting with the sugar and ending with the chocolate chip mix. Place the lid on, and decorate if desired. Don't heap any of the measurements or you won't be able to get the lid on. Add a handwritten label with instructions.
To prepare the hot chocolate:
- Slow Cooker: In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, add the contents of the gift jar and a ½ gallon whole milk. Stir, cover and cook on HIGH for about 1.5 hours until warm and everything is melted completely, stirring occasionally.
- Stove-top: In a large pot, add the contents of the gift jar and a ½ gallon of whole milk. Heat on medium-high heat until warm and everything is melted completely, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.