Slow Cooker Sour Cream Beef Stroganoff has tender stew meat in a mushroom and onion gravy.
My mom makes the best sour cream beef stroganoff, but my mom makes her recipe on the stove top, so I was on a mission to adapt it for my slow cooker. The first two times I attempted to make this beef stroganoff, the sauce was too thin. Third times the charm, I guess.
Some beef stroganoff recipes call for cream cheese, but sour cream is the traditional ingredient, and it turns the sauce into magic. I served this sour cream beef stroganoff over egg noodles, but rice is good too!
- Slow Cooker – 4 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat (raw cubed beef)
- 1.74 oz Brown gravy packets (2 .87 oz. packets gravy packets)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 16 ounces Sour cream 1½ cups goes into sauce, the rest for garnish
- egg noodles or white rice
- Put 1½ cups water in the slow cooker, add both gravy packets, and whisk until smooth.
- Add stew meat, onions and mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add about 1½ cups of sour cream to the meat mixture in your slow cooker, and stir.
- Pour the stroganoff sauce over noodles or rice, and top with remaining sour cream.