Slow Cooker Sour Cream Beef Stroganoff
My mom makes the best sour cream beef stroganoff, but my mom makes her recipe on the stove top, so I was on a mission to adapt it for my slow cooker. The first two times I attempted to make this beef stroganoff, the sauce was too thin. Third times the charm, I guess.
Some beef stroganoff recipes call for cream cheese, but sour cream is the traditional ingredient, and it turns the sauce into magic. I served this sour cream beef stroganoff over egg noodles, but rice is good too!
- 2 pounds Stew meat (any type of roast that is cubed will work)
- 2 Brown gravy packets
- 1½ cups water
- 1 onion, large dice
- 2-3 cups sliced mushrooms
- egg noodles, or white rice
- 16 ounces Sour cream, 1½ cups goes into sauce, the rest for garnish
- Put 1½ cups water in the slow cooker, add both gravy packets, and whisk until smooth.
- Add stew meat, onions and mushrooms to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Cook noodles or rice per package directions
- Add about 1½ cups of sour cream to the meat mixture in your slow cooker, and stir.
- Pour the stroganoff sauce over your noodles or rice, and top with remaining sour cream.