Meatballs with rice in a sweet and tangy sauce, these Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs are a blast from the past!
Hi all! Welcome to the Vintage Slow Cooker Recipe of the month. Today I am sharing my recipe for Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs. The Porcupine part of the recipe is the rice in the meatballs. No porcupine meat, I promise! Below is a vintage recipe I found on Pinterest. I jazzed up this recipe with a tangy and sweet sauce. You can see my recipe farther down past the photos.
I start with a basic meatball recipe. I don’t add the Minute rice until after I mix these ingredients together first.
The Sauce is a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar, very simple but packs so much flavor. I formed the meat mixture into 20 meatballs. I layered the meat balls and sauce into my slow cooker.
Here is what the porcupine meatballs and sauce look like after being cooked on low for 5 hours.
The sauce is AMAZING, sweet and lots of tang from the cider vinegar.
I do have to say these vintage recipes have been my favorite to do on the blog, never feels like a chore to me. I hope you are enjoying them too! Have a great weekend.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef (I use 10% fat beef)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup diced onions
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup crushed crackers (I use Ritz)
- 1 cup Minute Brand rice (don't use standard rice)
- 2 cups ketchup (I use Hunts)
- ½ cup Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue Sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4-quart or larger
- In a large bowl add the meatball ingredients, except the rice. With clean hands mix these ingredients together, add rice and mix in evenly. Form the balls, I made them about the size of 2 tablespoons, I made a total of 20 meatballs.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl until combined.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add a layer of meatballs and drizzle over some sauce. Do this a few times, until all the meatballs and sauce are gone.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Plenty more Ground Beef Recipes on the blog, here are the best:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker Land Your Man Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat Loaf Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash