This Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner has tender chicken thighs, Yukon gold potatoes and green beans in a savory herb sauce.
I love it when I find a complete meal for the slow cooker — no worrying about making side dishes for this meal since everything is prepared at once.
For this meal, I use bone-in chicken thighs. I think if boneless skinless chicken is used in the recipe, the recipe will be dry.
The juices from the bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs help make a flavorful sauce along with the tomato sauce and seasonings. If you chose to use chicken breasts, add a cup of chicken broth.
How to make:
You will need these ingredients:
- Chicken thighs
- Cooking oil
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Fresh green beans
- Canned tomato sauce (not paste)
- Salt and pepper
- Dried thyme
- Dried Rosemary
How to make:
- Add the oil to a pan on the stove-top set to medium-high heat. Brown the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Add the potatoes and green beans to the slow cooker. Place the chicken on top.
- Add remaining ingredients on top of the chicken and smear around evenly over the chicken.
- Place the lid on and cook for 4.5 hours on high.
This full chicken dinner is a great Sunday meal, set this up after lunch and no worries about dinner at all, scoop and serve when the timer goes off.
Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2.5 lbs bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 lb. green beans ends snipped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce (not paste)
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- Set a pan on the stove top and set to medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil and swirl coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, brown the chicken on both sides, you don't need to cook the meat through.
- Add the diced potatoes and green beans to the bottom of the slow cooker, toss them together to combine them.
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes and green beans. Add the garlic. Drizzle over the tomato sauce, then sprinkle over the salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Take a spatula and smear around the sauce trying to combine the seasoning into the sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4.5 hours. Do no open the lid during the cooking time or the potatoes will not get tender.
- Serve and enjoy!