Make this easy Slow Cooker Chocolate Dump cake for your next event, warm and gooey chocolate with tangy cherries. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
I’ve tried dump cake in the slow cooker a few times where you dump the cake mix then drizzle over butter. Doing that can leave dry spots and wet puddles in other spots.
Taking the time to mix the butter (I use 2 sticks) with the cake mix before adding on top of the fruit is the best way to ensure an even cakey layer.
This chocolate cherry dump cake is a great starter recipe to try. Imagine the possibilities!
How to make crockpot dump cake:
- Cake mix – I use a 15.25-ounce box of Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake.
- Salted butter – 1 cup (2 sticks)! Yes, I use one cup. If less is used the cake will be very dry.
- Cherry pie filling – 2 cans – be sure not to grab the sugar-free version for that can have an off taste if you are not used to the flavor.
- Add the cake mix to a medium-sized bowl
- Melt the butter and add it to the mix.
- Stir until just combined.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the cherry pie filling to the slow cooker and spread out to an even layer.
- Spread over the chocolate cake mixture.
- I find this is easier if I put dollops of the mixture over the cherries, then spread out.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours.
- Don’t open the lid during the cooking time.
How do I serve dump cake?
- Serve warm chocolate cherry dump cake right out of the slow cooker.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Place the leftover in the fridge. Reheat in bowls in the microwave.
Can I use a different type of fruit in this?
Yes! You can use berry pie filling in this recipe or add a drained can of pineapple along with the cherries.
What other warm desserts can be made in the crockpot?
- German Chocolate Spoon Cake – chocolate and coconut in a warm dessert.
- Lemon Spoon Cake – so much lemon zest in this!
- Berry Crumble – This recipe is on the healthy side!
- Crustless Brown Sugar Pumpkin Pie – Who needs the crust anyway.
- Scalloped Apples – Like baked apples but a prettier presentation.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake – One of the most popular recipes here on the blog!
Slow Cooker Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 42 oz. cherry pie filling (two 21-oz. cans)
- 15.25 oz. chocolate cake mix (I use Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake)
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks) melt in microwave
- Spray the slow cooker with non stick spray or rub with oil or crisco.
- Add the cherry pie filling to the slow cooker, spread out to an even layer.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the cake mix and melted butter. Only mix until just combined.
- Add this cake mixture on top of the cherries in dollops, then spread out in an even layer.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours or until the cake is set.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.