This Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup will hit the spot! Tender beans and bacon slow-cooked to perfection.
I also have a pinto bean and bacon soup that is very similar to this recipe! You should try both and let me know what you think.
The recipe for Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup is very similar to Bean and Ham Soup but with bacon. I thought for a second to leave out the ham hock; could there be too much pork flavor? Nope. I’m glad used a ham hock. It gave the soup a perfect smoky flavor.
I also decided to try fresh tomatoes instead of canned for this soup and those turned out better than canned. The soup has a little prep work like soaking the beans, frying bacon and chopping vegetables. But really not too bad for homemade comforting soup!
I also wanted to mention to not forget cornbread and butter. The sweet cornbread and butter complement the smoky soup just right!
Here are my other favorite bean recipes:
- Slow Cooker Italian Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Taco 15 Bean Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Beans
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Slow Cooker Bean and Bacon Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 lb. dried small white beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 3 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices thick-cut apple wood smoked bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 small ham hock
- salt to taste add when done
- The night before soak the beans. I do this by placing the beans in the slow cooker (sorting any rocks or dirt clumps out). Cover with water (about 4 inches of water above the beans) DON’T TURN ON THE SLOW COOKER YET! Let the beans soak in the water overnight.
- Drain the water off the beans in the morning.
- Add the fresh 5 cups of water, chicken bouillon cubes, onion, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, thyme, pepper, and cooked and chopped bacon. Stir.
- Add the ham hock.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Remove the ham hock. Remove meat from ham hock and put into soup if desired.
- Stir, add salt to taste.
- Serve with cornbread and butter.