This holiday appetizer Horseradish Cheese Spread is made in the slow cooker but cooled in little containers for holiday serving.
First, before you dive into making this Horseradish Cheese Spread, I want to make sure you know this recipe is for serving cold! This recipe makes a ton for the over holidays or one giant party.
I found this recipe over at Sweet Little Bluebird and had to try it in the slow cooker, Mary got this recipe from her grandpa. I added pimentos for color and my husband and I both love pimentos.
Just cube up the Velveeta and add the other ingredients to the slow cooker. It only took 1 hour and 45 minutes to heat this up in the slow cooker, while I did other housework.
After the cheese has melted and there are no lumps in the cheese sauce, I put the warm cheese sauce into little decorative containers with lids, and let cool for about 4 hours in the fridge before serving.
What’s great about putting in pretty containers is that during the party you can put out a fresh batch when another is gone.
I saw on Mary’s recipe that she used crackers with seeds and Triscuits. I think this spread is best with a cracker with texture to compliment the creaminess of the spread. I hope you give the recipe a try! Enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Size: 4 quart or larger
- 2 lb. box velveeta cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz. jar cream horseradish
- 8 oz. diced pimentos, drained (2 small jars)
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Cut the Velveeta into cubes, add to the slow cooker.
- Add the mayonnaise, horseradish, pimentos, and hot sauce, stir.
- Cover and cook on high for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, stirring about every 30 minutes.
- Or you can heat this up on the stove pot in a large pan, stir often.
- Spoon the cheese sauce into containers with lids and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with crackers and enjoy!