Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole is the easiest one-pot recipe you will find for enchiladas.
This recipe for slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole is a one-pot meal (yay!). To make this recipe, I cook the chicken with a big can of red enchilada sauce, all day in my slow cooker. Then when I get home, I shred the chicken, stir in corn tortillas strips, add some cheese and olives, stir, add a little more cheese and olives on top, cook for one more hour, and wow! Easy enchiladas and I don’t have the huge mess all over my kitchen from frying tortillas and rolling the enchiladas.
My mom will still be making enchiladas the old fashioned way and that’s fine, I have this easy recipe up my sleeve that I can make in a snap.
This recipe has become a viral success on the blog and that is for good reason. So many people have tried this recipe and had great results. I don’t think there is an easier meal for the slow cooker.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
You will need these ingredients:
- Enchilada sauce
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Corn tortillas cut into strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Black olives
- Place chicken breasts and a large can of enchilada sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
- After the chicken and sauce have cooked, shred the chicken and add the corn tortillas (that have been cut into strips), half of the cheese, and half of the olives, stir and flatten out into a casserole.
- Add more cheese on top and olives. Cook on low for 40-60 minutes or until the center is hot.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
I serve this chicken enchilada casserole with sour cream on top, refried beans, and Spanish rice. If you don’t have a great recipe for Spanish rice, check this tutorial for Spanish rice from Lil’ Luna, it’s the recipe I use and it’s amazing.
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes on the site. Easy to throw in the crockpot and has great results.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless raw chicken breasts
- 28 oz. can Red Enchilada Sauce I use El Pato Brand
Add these items at the end:
- 10 corn tortillas I used an entire 11.7 ounce bag
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese divided
- 3.8 oz. can black olives divided
- Put the chicken breasts and the enchilada sauce in your slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker.
- Cut the tortillas in to strips, add to chicken and sauce. Stir.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and half the olives into the sauce and chicken mixture. Stir again.
- Flatten the mixture.
- Add the rest of the cheese and the olives on top.
- Cook on low for about 40 – 60 minutes longer.
- Top with sour cream (optional)
How to Video:
More of my favorite slow cooker chicken recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon Gravy
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy (without bacon)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Seasoned Chicken, Potatoes and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Full Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken and Red Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken and Veggies
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Alpine Chicken