Simple recipe for beer cheese soup in the slow cooker. This recipe has great flavor and plenty of cheese.
Beer Cheese Soup anyone? The first time I tried this soup was at a Halloween party about 10 years ago, my friend Dawna brought this soup in a slow cooker, and I probably ate half of that pot of soup myself! I have been in love with this soup ever since. This Slow Cooker Beer Cheese soup has rich flavor, but not completely over powered by the beer.
To thicken this soup for the slow cooker, I used cornstarch, it blends in so nicely. Also, you must use sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe, it really makes the flavor pop. And I always serve this soup with sourdough bread and butter. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 16 oz. ,beer
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup carrot finely diced
- 1 cup white onion finely diced
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper to taste
- Add chicken broth and beer to slow cooker.
- Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Add carrots and onions to slow cooker, stir.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Add the cream cheese and resume cooking for 20 minutes or until the cream cheese has melted.
- Once the cream cheese has melted, stir in the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper; to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.