Slow Cooker Whole Chicken and Stuffing is a one-pot meal, the veggie and chicken cook all day then the stuffing mix is added to the rich and flavorful broth.
If you haven’t tried an entire chicken in the slow cooker you must! You can make this recipe or my engagement chicken for a great homemade meal!
Growing up my mom always added extra veggies to her Stove-Top stuffing. I found that I can cook veggies with a whole chicken in the slow cooker (smothered in butter), then stir in stove-top stuffing to the drippings in with the cooked veggies at the end of the cooking time.
How to make Whole Chicken and Stuffing in the slow cooker:
- Add diced onion, carrots and celery to the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add a whole chicken (weighing about 5 pounds) over the veggies.
- Melt a stick of butter in the microwave. Pour over the chicken.
- Sprinkle over paprika, thyme, and sage.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate.
- Keep only 1 1/2 cups of liquid in the slow cooker with the veggies (you can use the leftover broth for gravy if desired).
- Add a 6-ounce box of stove-top stuffing into the liquid and veggies.
- Serve and enjoy! You can add the chicken back in the pot for a pretty presentation, or slice and serve from the plate.
What to serve with this:
This is great alone with just the chicken and stuffing. Or you can serve it with these options:
- Mashed potatoes
- Chicken Gravy – Recipe by Crazy for Crust
- Green beans – Recipe by Dinner at the Zoo
- Cranberry Sauce
More chicken recipes to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken with Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Engagement Chicken with Gravy
- Classic Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken with Stuffing
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 5 lbs. whole chicken
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried sage Use oregano if you don't have sage
- 1/2 tsp. paprika (this makes the chicken look less pale since it doesn't get crispy in slow cooker)
- 6 oz. box stove top stuffing I use savory herb style but you can use any kind of stove-top such as chicken, turkey or cornbread style.
- Clean out the inside of the chicken by removing any extra parts or packaging and discard.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken.
- Pour over the melted butter and sprinkle over the thyme, sage, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken to a platter and cover with foil. Now you'll want to remove some of the liquid from the slow cooker, leave only 1.5 cups of liquid along with the veggies. (you can use the extra liquid for gravy or another recipe). Add the box of stove-top stuffing to the veggies and 1.5 cups of liquid in the slow cooker. Replace the lid. Let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork when the time is up.
- I add the chicken back to the slow cooker with the stuffing for a pretty presentation. If I was just serving this to my family, I would slice and serve the chicken on the platter and serve the stuffing from the slow cooker.
How to Video:
- Mashed potatoes
- Chicken Gravy
- Green Beans
- Cranberry Sauce
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.