Yesterday I decided to make Slow Cooker Reuben Sandwiches, one of my husbands favorites. Men and their cured meat right? I added a smokey coriander black pepper rub, which gives the corned beef a pastrami flavor. And after some research, I found out that these sandwiches are really called “Rachel’s” because of the cole-slaw instead of the sauerkraut, and the pastrami instead of the corned beef (pastrami is usually smoked corned beef with a coriander black pepper crust). Who knew right?
For these slow cooker reuben sandwiches, you can make Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage, and use the left over corned beef for the sandwiches. If you plan on making just sandwiches, my recipe for slow cooker reuben sandwich meat is below, I rubbed the corned beef with a smokey coriander black pepper rub, and wrapped in foil 4 times, and cooked on low in my slow cooker for 7 hours.
I made a homemade slaw to go on the sandwiches, I used chopped cabbage, grated carrots, and grated onions. The cole-slaw dressing I made has horseradish, Dijon mustard, and poppy seeds in it. Talk about some good cole-slaw! I love how crisp and fresh homemade cole-slaw tastes! Or you can buy a cole-slaw kit at the store, to save time. If you like sauerkraut, replace the cole-slaw for sauerkraut.
I also made a homemade russian dressing, I could drink that stuff, seriously. Give the homemade russian dressing a try, I put diced onion in it, that little touch puts it over the top.
And don’t forget the Marble Rye!
- 4-5 pound Corned Beef Brisket
- Lots of aluminum foil
For the rub
- pickling spice packet included with corned beef
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded white onion
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon creamed horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- couple grinds of coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons onion finely diced
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Other Ingredients needed
- Butter for browning bread
- Marble Rye Slices
- Swiss Cheese
- toothpicks to secure sandwiches
- Start by mixing rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Place corned beef on a large sheet of foil, spread the rub on all sides of the corned beef. Wrap in corned beef in the foil, then wrap again three times more.
- Place the corned beef in the slow cooker, no water is added. Place lid on slow cooker.
- Slow cook on LOW for 7- 8 hours without opening the lid.
- Take the corned beef out, leaving in the foil let it rest, on a cutting board, while you prepare the coleslaw, and russian dressing, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare coleslaw dressing by stirring all the coleslaw dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. I only toss a little dressing with the amount I of coleslaw I need at the moment, since there is just 2 of us, I like to keep it crisp.
- Prepare the Russian Dressing by mixing the ingredients together is a small bowl.
- Open the foiled corned beef, and dump out the juices, I didn't save these juices, I found no need for them.
- Slice the corned beef, and prepare your sandwiches.
- Butter the marble rye and brown them in a skillet.
- Spread the russian dressing on the bottom piece.
- Pile up the corned beef next.
- Swiss cheese next.
- Coleslaw next.
- Top piece of marble rye, secured with toothpicks if desired, and cut in half.
Shared at: Jam Hands (Recipe Sharing Monday), Food is Love- (Monday Mixer), Kathe with an E (You’re going to Love it), Mandy’s Recipe Box (Totally Talented Tuesday) Yesterfood (Treasure box Tuesday) Chef in Training (Tuesday Talent Show) Lady Behind the Curtain (Cast Party Wednesday) Mom’s Test Kitchen (Wonderfully Creative Wednesday) Miz Helen’s Country Cottage (Full Plate Thurdsday) Anyonita Nibbles (#Gethimfed) Slow Cooker Saturdays (Crock Pot Ladies), Coffee with us 3 (Saturday Dishes)