This slow cooker cinnamon applesauce recipe is so easy to make. It’s yummy on toast, ice cream, or use in place of oil in your cake mixes.
We use applesauce almost daily for breakfast at our house. We often buy store-bought though I try to make this Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce a few times a year.
What kind of apples should I use?
- Any variety is great in this recipe. My favorite is whatever is on sale which is usually Gala or Fuji.
- If you are using an apple that is very tart such as Granny Smith, be prepared to add sugar at the end of the cooking time.
How to make Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce:
- Peel the apples. Slice and core them. Do not leave any bits of the core on the apples, they will not break down in the slow cooking process.
- Add the apples to the slow cooker.
- Add ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks on top of the apples.
- Add apple juice, apple cider or water to the apples. This will help make a juicy apple sauce and prevent burning.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5 hours.
- To make the cooked apples into applesauce take a whisk and stir the apples, breaking apart the apples into a sauce.
- Add sugar if desired, it may not be
nessasary. Only add a tablespoon at a time.
How to serve and store:
- Serve as is with just a spoon.
- Serve warm over ice-cream
- Spoon cold applesauce over buttered toast or pancakes.
- Use the applesauce in recipes such as; Applesauce Cake, Crockpot Applesauce Pork Chops, or Cinnamon Apple Sauce Cookies.
How to store:
- If you aren’t going to use the applesauce straight away, place in containers and Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Freeze in jars or Tupperware for up to three months.
- This is not a canning recipe, canning takes an exact science for safety reasons.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 4 pounds apples any variety
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 cup apple juice or cider (water works fine too!)
- sugar if desired
- Wash, Peel and slice the apples and place them in the slow cooker.
- Add cinnamon powder, and cinnamon sticks and apple juice.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or on 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Remove cinnamon sticks. Use a whisk to stir the applesauce until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add sugar if desired (only add a tablespoon at a time, this recipe takes none or just a tad of sugar)
First Published: 02/03/2013