Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple butter is great for breakfast and also for gift giving!
Hi all! I’ve wanted to try this forever! I love apple butter and I knew adding cranberries would make it even better. This is so simple to make, the hardest part is peeling the apples. Once the hard part of peeling the apples is done just a few more ingredients are added and the slow cooker does the rest of the work.
The ingredients are very basic, just apples, cranberries, ground cloves, cinnamon and orange juice. Brown sugar will be added later.
After this has cooked on high for 5 hours, I remove the cinnamon sticks and put everything from the slow cooker into a blender. I blend this up until it is very smooth. I added a half cup of brown sugar, you can add more or less, add the sugar to taste. After adding the sugar, I refrigerate overnight before serving. I think this Cranberry Apple Butter tastes best cold.
You can package up any extras of this Cranberry Apple Butter for gifts, just be sure to tell your friends that these need to be refrigerated.
My favorite way to eat this is on croissants but if I had time to make homemade biscuits, that would be even better. I hope you try this! Have a great weekend, I will be back on Monday with a new recipe.
- 2 lbs. apples, peeled cored and sliced (I used granny smith) about 6 cups total after being cut
- 1 (12-oz.) bag fresh cranberries
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup orange juice.
- ½ cup brown sugar (add this at the end to taste)
- 5-quart or larger
- Add the sliced and peeled apples to the slow cooker, note don't worry about using the exact amount of apples as me, somewhere close is fine. Add the cranberries, clove, cinnamon sticks and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or low for 8, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is done, remove cinnamon sticks and discard. Ladle everything into a blender, add the sugar. I used a half cup of packed brown sugar and that was good for my taste. Use less if you don't like things too sweet, you can always add more. Blend everything together until smooth.
- I think this tastes better after being refrigerated overnight. Great on biscuits or croissants.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Apple and Clove Ham