This Slow Cooker Basil Chicken and Rice is a complete meal with tender chicken thighs, rice and plenty of basil.
This recipe is a spin off my mom’s oven recipe for basil rice. My mom makes a basil rice recipe that goes great with anything. She would brown rice and butter in a skillet, add dried basil, chicken broth, and rice and then finish it in the oven. I made her rice recipe a complete meal by adding chicken.
How to make Basil, Chicken and Rice:
For this recipe, I cook chicken, leeks, basil, butter and chicken broth for 6 hours. Then I stir in Minute Brand rice and put the lid back on and cook for about 25 minutes more. You may remember that I do not like conventional rice in the slow cooker, it gets gummy. Minute rice is parboiled then dried, so it doesn’t get gummy and it cooks fast.
The rice turns out perfectly fluffy and tastes amazing since it is flavored with the butter and broth the chicken has been cooking in. The thighs turn out moist and tender in this meal too!
I always looked forward to this rice when my mom was making it and this slow cooker recipe makes life easier with the chicken cooked with it. Have a great week!
Other great Chicken and Rice recipes:
- Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Slow Cooker One Pot Chicken Burrito Filling
- Slow Cooker No Peek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
Slow Cooker Basil Chicken and Rice
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 15 oz. can chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup diced leeks
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 cups white Minute rice ADD AT THE END
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, basil, salt, pepper and leeks to the slow cooker. Add the butter on top of the chicken, no need to melt it.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After the cooking time is done, remove the chicken onto a plate with a slotted spoon. Stir in the minute rice, Add the chicken into the rice. Cover and cook on LOW for 25 more minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.