Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks have tender chicken, piles of veggies and topped with swiss cheese. A fun and different dinner idea.
This week I made a healthier recipe- Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks. I have always wanted to make these in my slow cooker, since I adore my other sandwich recipe Slow Cooker French Dips, I knew these would be good too.
How to make Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks in the Crockpot:
- Chicken, broth, and seasonings cook for 6.5 hours on low in the slow cooker.
- Then the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms are added. Cook for 1.5 hours more.
- After the veggies are done cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Pile the chicken and veggies on hoagie rolls and add swiss cheese. You can melt the cheese under the broiler in the oven if desired.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of breast?
Yes, but be sure to trim off as much fat as possible before cooking.
How can I make these into Chicken French Dips?
Add 3 cups of chicken broth instead of one. Then when the cooking time is up, strain the juices and serve those juices in little bowls. Dip your sandwiches into the chicken au jus.
More sandwich recipes to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
- Slow Cooker Beer and Garlic French Dips
- Slow Cooker Creamy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 bell peppers (any colors) sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper to season the bell peppers onions, and mushrooms
- French bread or hoagie rolls
- Swiss cheese
- Place the chicken breasts into a 4-quart or larger slow cooker, and pour over the chicken broth. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika (DON’T ADD THE VEGETABLES YET).
- Cover and cook on Low for 6.5 hours.
- After the chicken has cooked, add the sliced vegetables on top of the cooked chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours more.
- With 2 forks shred the chicken.
- Using tongs place the meat onto hoagies (tap as much liquid of the meat before placing on the bread), and top with cheese. Place the sandwiches open-faced under the broiler in the oven to toast the buns and melt the cheese.
Yes, be sure to trim the fat off the thighs well before cooking. Note- This recipe can be adjusted for the length of time you won’t be home. Example: Cook the chicken for 8 hours on LOW then add the veggies and cook for 1.5 hours more on HIGH. Nutritional values don’t include rolls and cheese
First Published 02/02/2015