Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks have tender chicken, piles of veggies and topped with swiss cheese. A fun and different dinner idea.
We love to make our favorite restaurant-style sandwiches right in the slow cooker. You can also make Beef Philly Cheese Steaks.
How to make Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks in the Crockpot:
- Chicken – Boneless chicken breasts.
- Broth – Adding chicken broth will keep the chicken moist.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Veggies – Bell peppers, onions and mushrooms.
- Sandwich fixings – Hoagie rolls and swiss cheese.
How long do I cook?
- First chicken, broth, and seasonings cook for 6 hours on low in the slow cooker.
- Then the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms are added. Cook for 1.5 hours more.
- After the veggies are done cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Pile the chicken and veggies on hoagie rolls and add swiss cheese. You can melt the cheese under the broiler in the oven if desired.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
- Yes, but be sure to trim off as much fat as possible before cooking.
- Cook for the same cooking time as you would for breasts.
How can I make these into Chicken French Dips?
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth instead of one.
- Then when the cooking time is up, strain the juices and serve those juices in little bowls.
- Dip your sandwiches into the chicken au jus.
More sandwich recipes to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
- Slow Cooker Beer and Garlic French Dips
- Slow Cooker Creamy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 bell peppers (any colors) sliced
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper to season the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
- French bread or hoagie rolls
- Swiss cheese
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker, and pour over the chicken broth. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika (DON'T ADD THE VEGETABLES YET).
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours.
- After the chicken has cooked, add the sliced vegetables on top of the cooked chicken. Sprinkle the vegetables with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1.5 hours more.
- With 2 forks shred the chicken.
- Using tongs place the meat onto hoagies (tap as much liquid off the meat before placing on the bread), and top with cheese. Place the sandwiches open-faced under the broiler in the oven to toast the buns and melt the cheese.
How to Video:
Yes, be sure to trim the fat off the thighs well before cooking. Note- This recipe can be adjusted for the length of time you won’t be home. Example: Cook the chicken for 8 hours on LOW then add the veggies and cook for 1.5 hours more on HIGH. Nutritional values don’t include rolls and cheese