This Slow Cooker Chicken and Kale Gnocchi Soup tastes just like Olive Garden. This recipe makes a big batch for a crowd.
This Chicken and Kale Gnocchi Soup is out of this world good. This recipe is inspired by Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup. I added kale because I had some on hand, the kale added great flavor to the soup. Soups in the slow cooker are a must in the winter. Since I work all day, I love to come home to a bowl of comforting soup.
This recipe has a few more steps than most of my other recipes. The extra steps are sautéing the veggies and boiling the gnocchi and kale separate on the stove-top, these steps are worth the time and effort to create a restaurant-style soup.
I hope you enjoy my recipe for Chicken and Kale Gnocchi Soup. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Kale Gnocchi Soup
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 16 oz. package gnocchi (found on the pasta aisle, refrigerated section, or freezer section)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1½ cups half and half
- Add the chicken to a 6-quart slow cooker, set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet set over medium-high heat on the stove-top, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes until they are slightly softened. Add the flour and cook for 30 more seconds, add a few cups of the chicken broth and stir until the flour dissolves.
- Add everything from the skillet to the slow cooker with the chicken, add the remaining chicken broth, stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time. After the cooking time is up, cook the gnocchi as directed on the package in boiling water on the stove-top, add the kale to this pot and cook at the same time as the gnocchi, the kale will take about 4 minutes to cook. Drain the gnocchi and kale, add to the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add the half and half.
- Serve and enjoy!