This four-ingredient Slow Cooker Candied Kielbasa sausage recipe is the perfect appetizer for a game day, a potluck, or a Thanksgiving dinner. It’s sweet and just plain delicious. Add this candied kielbasa to your recipe book today!
What is kielbasa sausage?
Kielbasa is the Polish word for sausage, which is why you may be more accustomed to hearing it called “Polish sausage.” This particular type of sausage is coarsely ground meat and formed in a U shape. The meat can be anything from beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, or even veal. It can be used to create a pretty tasty dish!
- Kielbasa: You’ll need two packs of your favorite kind of sausage.
- Brown Sugar: Creates a caramelized base for the sausage that yields a sweet flavor and the best sauce.
- Ketchup: Gives the base a slight tomato flavor.
- Horseradish: Although this is considered spicy, it levels out when combined with brown sugar and ketchup.
Step One – Cut the kielbasa into 1-inch slices. Make sure to slice them straight down and not at an angle.
Step Two – Add the sausage to the crock pot and add the remaining ingredients on top.
Step Three – Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
Step Four – Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5 hours. Stir occasionally. The sauce thickens over cooking time. Serve and enjoy!
- Try cooking your kielbasa sausage with BBQ sauce and sweet chili sauce to give it a slightly smokey flavor.
- If you simply want caramelized sausage, you can cook the sausage with brown sugar and ketchup only. This still creates a yummy taste that you can serve as is.
- This candied sausage can be served with rice, sauteed green and red pepper, or fresh from the crockpot as is. For potlucks, consider serving them with toothpicks for easy picking and eating.
You can use a 3 quart or larger.
It’s best to use the “Keep Warm” setting so the sausage and sauce don’t continue cooking. These will stay good for about 2-3 hours if you stir occasionally.
Add any leftover sausage to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat them in a pan on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
Absolutely! You can start by using different flavored BBQ sauces instead of ketchup. If you’d like to add a bit of spice for a hot sauce, go with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Use Dijon mustard in place of the horseradish.
Slow Cooker Candied Kielbasa
- 28 oz. kielbasa (two 14-oz. pkgs)
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup horseradish creamed or prepared horseradish (I use Beaver Hot Cream Horseradish)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Cut the kielbasa into 1 inch slices. (not at an angle, straight down cuts).
- Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the ketchup, horseradish and brown sugar.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or LOW for 5 hours stirring occasionally. You want to cook these longer than just heating for kielbasa will start soaking the sauce up the longer it cooks.
- Add any leftover sausage to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat them in a pan on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
- To keep warm at a party, use the “Keep Warm” setting, so the sausage and sauce don’t continue cooking. These will stay good for about 2-3 hours if you stir occasionally.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.