Tender venison roast that is smothered in a bacon mushroom gravy! Not your average roast recipe and is a must try.
If you have a stockpile of venison you will also want to put my venison chili recipe on your menu!
This recipe is perfect for a vension lover! The gravy in this recipe is AMAZING and tastes great with mashed potatoes.
My husband doesn’t always get a deer every year, but when he does, I love to use this recipe, or if your lucky, your local butcher will have venison roast in the freezer for you.
How to make venison roast in the slow cooker:
- Venison Roast – Can use any deer roast; I used a arm roast. See my tip on how to remove the gamey flavor.
- Broth – Beef broth or water with bouillon cubes.
- Vegetables – Mushrooms and onions
- Cornstarch – This will thicken the sauce and make a gravy
- Beer – 1 cup of your favorite beer or you can use red wine. If you don’t want to use alcohol, add more broth.
- Bacon – Cooked and crumbled.
- Butter – Adding fat to venison roast recipes is a must, for it can be dry. You can use bacon drippings instead if desired.
- Seasonings – Montreal steak seasoning, no need to add salt; this has plenty.
How do I get the gamey flavor out of vension?
- Add the roast to a large bowl or ziplock bag, add buttermilk to cover.
- Leave overnight. Rinse and proceed with the recipe.
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can make it from scratch. See this recipe for homemade buttermilk from Tastes Better From Scratch.
- This does not remove all the gamey flavor and make the meat taste just like beef, but it does help take away some of the gamey flavor.
How long do I cook?
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours.
- Shred and serve
What do I serve with this?
- Mashed Potatoes – I use this recipe for Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Or Steamed white rice. Even Rice Pilaf is good with this!
- Green vegetables such as steamed green beans or a green salad with dressing.
- Garlic bread
More pot roast recipes to try:
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Classic Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Horseradish Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef Roast
- Slow Cooker Beer, Onion and Ketchup Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Venison Roast with Mushroom Gravy
- Slow Cooker – 5 quart or larger
- 2 cups buttermilk – use this to soak meat overnight to remove gaminess if desired.
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 15 oz. beef broth
- 1 cup beer
- 3-4 lb. venison roast (I used an arm roast)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 slices bacon sliced and cooked (drained)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Montreal steak seasoning
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- OVERNIGHT SOAKING OPTION (TO REMOVE GAMINESS): Add the roast into a large bowl. Add the buttermilk over it. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Rinse before proceeding with recipe.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup cornstarch, add to the slow cooker along with the beef broth and beer. Stir.
- Add the roast into the liquid. Add the mushrooms, onions, and cooked bacon.
- Sprinkle over the thyme and Montreal steak seasoning.
- Slice the butter, and lay over the roast and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and serve along with the gravy.