A venison roast is covered in smokey seasonings and smothered in a beef broth, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce base for an irresistible Slow Cooker Venison Barbecue. Your family members are sure to love this venison bbq meal.
Have some leftover wild game? Use it to make some Slow Cooker Venison Chili.
What is the best method for cooking venison roast?
When you’re trying to cook venison roast to tender and flavor perfection, cooking it in the crock pot is one of the best methods. Slow cooking prevents the venison from drying out while allowing the seasonings to marinade deep into the meat. If your husband hunts (or someone in your family), this is a great recipe to have in your back pocket.
- Venison Roast: If your local grocery store does not carry venison, check with your local meat butcher shop or a local farmer. I can find venison roasts in my small town pretty easily at the corner butcher shop, though it’s often frozen.
- Liquid Ingredients: Liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and barbecue sauce.
- Seasonings: Mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, brown sugar, salt, and pepper provide a meat rub with an incredible flavor and taste.
Step One – Pour liquid Smoke, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth into the crock pot.
Step Two – Rub the Venison roast all over with this seasoning rub.
Step Three – Place seasoned venison into the crockpot. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Turn the roast half way through cooking. (This can be skipped if you are not home during the day).
Step Four – When ready, remove from the slow cooker and shred meat using two forks.
Step Five – Return the shredded meat mixture back into the slow cooker and add barbecue sauce.
Step Six – Mix well. Serve warm.
How to serve bbq venison?
- Serve this delicious venison bbq on a sandwich with various topping options: ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles, and/or cole slaw. Add additional BBQ sauce, if desired to your bun.
- It also goes well on a bed of rice or mashed potatoes.
- Think of sides a barbecue stand would serve, such as cheesy potatoes, baked beans, or mac and cheese. You don’t have to put the meat on a bun! You can also top your portion with a touch of hot pepper sauce.
Yes! Adjust the cooking time a bit—8 hours for a boneless roast, 10 hours for a bone-in roast- like a neck roast.
Add any remaining venison barbecue to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. This meat mixture can also be frozen for up to 3 months when stored in a freezer-safe bag or container.
You can’t go wrong with using a toasted bun (brioche), but any bread will do.
Slow Cooker Venison BBQ Sandwiches
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¾ tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 3-4 lbs. venison roast
WAIT TO ADD
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- hamburger buns
- Add the liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, and the beef broth to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl add the brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Mix together to make a seasoning rub.
- Rub the Venison roast all over with this seasoning rub (use all the rub).
- Add the Venison to the slow cooker with the liquids and cover.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (8 hours for a boneless roast, 10 hours for a bone-in roast- like a neck roast). Wait to add the barbecue sauce until the cooking time is done.
- Turn the roast half way through cooking. (This can be skipped if you are not home during the day).
- Check for doneness – it needs to shred easily. When ready, remove from the slow cooker and shred using two forks.
- Remove the fluid from the slow cooker, but reserve 1 cup.
- Add the shredded venison back to the slow cooker with the 1 cup of reserved fluid and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce. Mix well. Serve on a toasted brioche bun with coleslaw or pickles (or your favorite dressing). Or you can serve as is with mashed potatoes or mac and cheese.
- Add any remaining venison barbecue to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. This meat mixture can also be frozen for up to 3 months when stored in a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Love venison but don’t know anyone that hunts? Many local butchers have frozen venison or can order it for you.
- Nutritional values do not include buns.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.