Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce is even better than store bought, no food coloring in this!
I had an abundant amount of apples this week and I picked up some beautiful strawberries to make this Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce. I love how well this recipe turned out. I wasn’t sure how the strawberries would stand out with all the apples, but they did perfectly. A perfect combination of flavors.
My daughter’s number one request for me to make is applesauce and this new Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce is her new favorite. She loves it straight out of a bowl. And I love it on buttered buttermilk toast.
How to make Strawberry Applesauce:
- Peel , core, and slice 7 apples (about 4 pounds). There is no need to be exact on the amounts in this recipe, always turns out great. Add the apples and one pound of stemed strawberries to the slow cooker.
- Pour over a 1/2 cup of apple juice or water.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- After the cooking time is done, stir the apples and strawberries with a whisk until a sauce forms.
How to store:
- Place the applesauce into small containers. Glass jars or Tupperware works great.
- Place in the fridge for up to a week.
- If you want to freeze, leave at room at the top of the jars for expansion, about an inch.
- Freeze for up to three months. Any longer may affect the taste.
- To thaw, place in the fridge the day before you would like to use it.
- This is not a canning recipe, canning takes special precautions and exact measurements.
Should I add cinnamon?
I would not add cinnamon to this, it will cover up the strawberry flavor and effect the pink coloring. Though I do add cinnamon to all my other applesauce and butter recipes, this one I do not.
Here are my other applesauce and butter recipes:
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Slow Cooker Raspberry Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Butter
Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 7 apples (about 3-4 pounds, no need to be exact!)
- 1 lb. container strawberries
- ½ cup apple juice or water
- sugar to taste if desired
- Peel, core and slice apples and add to the slow cooker. Remove the stems from the strawberries and add to the slow cooker with the apples.
- Cover, and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Using a whisk stir the apples and strawberries until a sauce forms.
- Taste the sauce and decide if you want to add sugar. Add a tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness is reached
- Serve and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers in small containers for up to a week. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge for a day before needed.