This Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili has layers of flavor and is sure to be your favorite go to chili recipe.
Welcome to the third edition of Vintage Slow Cooker Recipe of the Month. I researched various chuck wagon chili recipes on the web. It seems that everyone has their own versions. I tried to create a recipe here that has many layers of flavor. I imagined the cook of the chuck wagon adding bits of ingredients all day until a perfect chili was created. The beer, Worcestershire sauce and the brown sugar give this chili a unique flavor.
I had planned to give the extras from this recipe to our neighbors. My husband saw me starting to dish up their portion, and suggested we save it instead and make nachos later in the week with it. That was a great idea! (Sorry Nikki!). My husband must of been a huge fan of this chili, because normally with chili he can barely stand leftovers just once.
Not only does this chili have an amazing flavor but also the consistency is just right. See below how the ratio of the beef and beans to the sauce is perfect.
I don’t have many recipes besides clam chowder that I buy oyster crackers for. When I was checking out at the store buying these crackers, the man in front of me commented how those crackers bring him back 30 years. I had to giggle knowing I was going home to top my vintage chili recipe with those crackers.
I also served this Chuck Wagon Chili with cornbread baked in my Le Creuset cast iron pan. My favorite cornbread right now is Krusteaz Honey Cornbread, though I do love their Southern Style too.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, I think it will become your new favorite chili. Have a great week and I will have another recipe for you soon!
Slow Cooker Chuck Wagon Chili
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup beer
- 29 oz. diced tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes) (two14.5-oz. cans)
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 30 oz. pinto beans, drained and rinsed (two 15-oz. cans)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Add everything to the slow cooker, except the beef bouillon cube and the water. Add the beef bouillon cube and water to a microwavable glass cup. Microwave for 40 seconds, or until the water is hot enough to melt the cube. Stir the cube in the water until dissolved. Add this to the other ingredients in the slow cooker, stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
How to Video:
Ground Beef Recipes are popular here on the magical slow cooker. Try a few more here:
- Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole
- Slow Cooker Shipwreck Stew
- Slow Cooker Land Your Man Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat Loaf Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Texas Trash Beef and Bean Dip
- Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Lipton Onion Meat Loaf
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash