This Slow Cooker Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole is a crowd pleaser for breakfast or brunch! Make a breakfast casserole with green chiles and sausage; it’s a unique dish you’ll love for a meal, and the leftovers are even better!
Why this recipe works
Have you ever made a breakfast casserole in the slow cooker? I have tried a few, the overnight crock pot egg dishes don’t turn out well for me, burnt and stinky by the time I wake up. Not something I want to serve to guests. This casserole takes only 2 hours and 15 minutes.
This turns out moist and perfectly cooked. If you want to make this for breakfast and you are not an early riser, brown the meat the night before and prep everything else as well. When you wake up you can put this together with your eyes closed. I want to save you from an overnight egg disaster, do not try to cook this overnight.
- Eggs – 10 eggs and is enough to feed a crowd.
- Sausage – Use Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, you can even use hot sausage if you want!
- Green Chiles – Canned fire roasted chiles work great in this recipe and makes it very easy!
- Cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese is the best choice for it has more flavor than mild or medium cheddar. If you want a spicy kick, use pepper jack cheese.
- Other ingredients – Sour cream is used instead of milk for a smooth and creamy texture. Also, salt, pepper and green onion help flavor the dish.
Step One – Mix the eggs, salt, pepper and sour cream in a large bowl, and set aside.
Step Two – Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add the cooked breakfast sausage, diced green chiles, green onion, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Step Three – Pour over the egg mixture and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Don’t peek, for the eggs won’t set if the heat escapes.
Step Four – Add the remaining cheese and replace the lid until the cheese melts. Top with green onion if desired.
How to serve
- For Breakfast – If you are serving this green chile egg casserole for breakfast, add a side of fruit such as sliced oranges or grapefruit with a side of toast or English muffins. This is a great recipe for feeding a crowd buffet style. You can even wrap up the green chile eggs in a burrito and add a dollop of sour cream.
- For Dinner – I serve this easy breakfast casserole as I would a quiche, with a slice of tomato on top and a side salad with an Italian dressing.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
To make this dish vegetarian, omit the sausage. You can add other mix ins such as black beans, or soy crumbles if desired.
Bacon can be used instead of the sausage, though you will have to cook it. If you don’t cook the bacon before adding it to the slow cooker, it only adds greasiness and no flavor. Browning bacon ahead of time cooks off the fat and adds a browned, smokey bacon flavor to the dish.
Use two jalapenos or one poblano pepper. Cut into a small dice and add over the sausage. These diced green chiles will add fresh pepper flavor to the dish, but beware it will also make this dish spicy.
You can use milk, half and half or heavy cream instead. If you want to go a healthy direction, use can use cottage cheese!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage browned and drained (Jimmy Dean or store brand)
- 8 oz. diced fire-roasted green chiles DRAIN VERY WELL! (two 4-oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion plus more for serving
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place cooked sausage down in an even layer. Then sprinkle over 1 cup of cheese, green chiles and green onions.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Do not open the lid during the cooking time or you will risk the eggs not setting up correctly.
- After the cooking time is done add the remaining 1.5 cups of cheese and cover for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with additional green onion if desired and enjoy!
- To make this dish vegetarian, omit the sausage. You can add other mix ins such as black beans, or soy crumbles if desired.
- You can use milk, half and half or heavy cream instead of sour cream,. If you want to go a healthy direction, use can use cottage cheese!
- Bacon can be used instead of the sausage, though you will have to cook it. If you don’t cook the bacon before adding it to the slow cooker, it only adds greasiness and no flavor. Browning bacon ahead of time cooks off the fat and adds a browned smokey bacon flavor to the dish.
- Don’t toss the leftovers, this egg dish reheats very well in the microwave.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.