Need a delicious appetizer recipe? These Slow Cooker Garlic Lemon Butter Artichokes are such a great choice to feed a crowd.
I’m a huge fan of artichokes, it seems not many people make them nowadays. I like them with a dish of melted butter, but some like mayonnaise. I think I could do mayonnaise if it is with something like lemon or garlic. Which dipping sauce do you prefer?
Normally I steam artichokes in a big pot on the stove, which works great. There is a way to cook artichokes in the slow cooker, it takes a little more time but I think they turn out great and more flavors can be added with the slow cooking method. Also cooking the artichokes in the slow cooker is great for keeping them warm during a party. Another great idea is to use a mini crock pot for the melted butter!
I was able to fit 3 artichokes in my slow cooker, though once before I was only able to fit 2 large ones. I add salt, pepper, minced garlic, fresh lemon juice and butter slices. Then I add a cup of water to keep things moist in the crock pot.
Here is what the artichokes look like after cooking for 3.5 hours on the high setting. It was the perfect amount of time for getting the artichokes tender. Any less time and the leaves won’t pull way easily.
Other appetizers to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Spinach Dip
- Slow Cooker Artichoke Dip
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Ranch Dip
- Slow Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs
Slow Cooker Garlic Lemon Butter Artichokes
- 3 artichokes medium or 2 large
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- Trim the artichokes: Cut the bottoms off the artichokes so they sit flat.
- Cut the very tops off the artichokes (see notes)
- Add the artichokes to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over with salt and pepper, then add the garlic.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Cut the butter into slices and place on top of the artichokes.
- Add the water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- Serve with melted butter (or mayonnaise if that’s your thing).
How to Video:
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.