This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to make with little work! Great for a healthy dinner.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- The Broth: A mixture of chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and red enchilada sauce
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, though thighs work great in this recipe too!
- Veggies: Onion and jalapenos are added at the beginning of the cooking time, then finely minced cilantro tops this soup off at the end.
How long do I cook?
- Cook on low for 8 -10 hours.
- Or high for 4 hours.
How to make tortilla strips for topping this soup (without frying!)
- Cut up corn tortillas into strips and lay them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray the tortilla strips with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Can I add corn to this soup?
Yes, add 1 can of drained corn (or Mexicorn) to this soup at the beginning of the cooking time.
How can I make this extra spicy?
Add 1-2 jalapenos with the seeds. This soup is great extra spicy.
More soup recipes to try:
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Easy Clam Chowder
- Slow Cooker Ham Hocks and Dumplings
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 14 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup (can use fat free)
- 1 can of water from soup can above
- 1 Tbsp. chopped jalapeños without seeds (use more if you like it spicy!)
- 1 white onion diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro add at the end
Tortilla strips for topping the soup:
- corn tortillas about 2 tortillas per serving
- about 4 pumps non-stick cooking spray
- salt to taste
- Put chicken broth, enchilada sauce, soup, and water into slow cooker.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add onion, jalapeño, and chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the cilantro and stir.
To make the tortilla strips:
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cut the corn tortillas into strips. Spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the tortilla strips on the baking tray, spray the tortilla strips with a little more non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the tortilla strips with salt. Bake for about 10 minutes, until brown and crispy.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.