Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Follow The Magical Slow Cooker on Facebook for weekly slow cooker recipes!
It is definitely spring here in Oregon. It was 85 degrees this weekend! I wear a sweatshirt to cover my “muffin top” for 8 months out of the year, while I’m delivering the mail. I had to ditch my dear sweatshirt this weekend, and to my horror, I couldn’t hide my muffin top, even with a baggy shirt!
I realized that I don’t have many “go to” low-fat slow cooker meals. I would love to have a ton of slow cooker recipes that are low-fat, and amazing. So the first recipe I created is Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. I have never been so in love with a low-fat recipe! The broth is so yummy, and I topped the soup with crispy corn tortillas, they make a good texture contrast for the soup.
I’m so glad I don’t have to give up my margaritas when I’m dieting! I tried this recipe for Super Skinny Margaritas (it was so good!), from Family Fresh Meals. This amazing blogger has made 4 of The Best Skinny Margarita Recipes, you have to check it out.
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts
- 1 32-oz. pkg. chicken broth
- 1 14-oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1 10.75 -oz. can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of water from soup can above
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeños without seeds
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro add at the end
- 8 corn tortillas 2 tortillas per serving
- about 4 pumps non-stick cooking spray
- Salt to taste
- Put chicken broth, enchilada sauce, soup, and water into slow cooker.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add onion, jalapeño, and chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cut the corn tortillas into strips. Spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray.Spread the tortilla strips on the baking tray, spray the tortilla strips with a little more non-stick spray. Sprinkle the tortilla strips with salt. Bake for about 10 minutes, until brown and crispy.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the cilantro and stir.
- Divide the soup, and tortilla strips into 4 servings. And serve!