Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meat sauce is an easy and healthy meal to put together.
In the last few months I’ve seen a few recipes for meatballs and spaghetti squash in the slow cooker on Pinterest. I wasn’t in the mood to make homemade meatballs nor to eat frozen style meatballs. I made a quick and easy turkey meat sauce in the slow cooker, then put the spaghetti squash right in the slow cooker and cooked for 4 hours on high.
Mind you I have never had spaghetti squash, I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy this. Maybe the cook time was just right to make the spaghetti squash “noodles” not mushy. My daughter couldn’t believe that spaghetti comes from squash, she thought it was a miracle! My husband and I had a good laugh about that. It was a fun thing to make for dinner that is actually healthy too.
See the squash below? When I plated dinner, I didn’t think there would be enough for leftovers. Then after dinner I went back and scraped the squash with a fork and more noodles came out, the noodles go all the way to the skin.
This meal could be served right in the spaghetti squash if desired. I actually made this plate up for leftovers, it slipped right into a round Tupperware.
Here is my video of this meal, couldn’t be easier. You can follow me on YouTube, here.
Kudos to whoever first did spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, best idea ever. I’ll be making this often!
- 1 lb. ground turkey (I used 7% fat)
- cooking oil
- 1 2 -3 lb. spaghetti squash
- 1 (23.5-oz.) jar marinara sauce (I used farmers market Prego)
- 1 cup diced Portobello mushroom (about 1 large Portobello)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. basil
- 6-quart or larger
- In a large pan on the stove-top set to medium-high heat, add a touch of cooking oil. Brown the turkey. Add to the slow cooker. Add the marinara sauce, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to the slow cooker as well. Stir.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Add the squash cut side down in the slow cooker into the sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
I used my 6.5 quart Touchscreen Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker for this recipe. Though any slow cooker 6-quart or larger would work fine.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Crustless Broccoli Cheese Quiche