Slow Cooker Ham and Green Bean Chowder is a vintage recipe that I can’t wait to share with you! This can be cooked all day while your away.
Below is what the soup looks like after the green beans are added at the end and before I add the cream cheese. I often see slow cooker soup recipes where the cream cheese is plopped in at the end of the cooking time. I prefer to take a few ladles of the soup stock from the slow cooker and blend that together with the cream cheese in a blender. It makes for a silkier soup if you do it that way.
I am very excited to share this recipe with you. I knew it would turn out good, but it turned out to be a real winner. I adapted this recipe from Linda at Grandma’s Vintage Recipes.
My other favorite soup recipes for the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Potato Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Bacon Soup
- Slow Cooker Hashbrown Potato Leek Soup
- Slow Cooker Summer Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Bone Broth
Slow Cooker Ham and Green Bean Chowder
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger
- 1 ham shank or ham hock
- 2 cups diced ham diced
- 4 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups green beans trimmed and cut; add towards the end
- 8 oz. cream cheese add at the end
- Place everything except the cream cheese and green beans into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- During the last 40 minutes add the green beans, cover and continue cooking.
- Remove bay leaves and ham shank or hock.
- Remove meat for ham shank or hock, and if desired, add it to the soup.
- Remove a cup or so of the soup liquid and add to a blender.
- Add the block of cream cheese to the blender, cover and pulse until smooth.
- Add this creamy mixture to the soup and stir gently.
- Serve and enjoy!