For breakfast or brunch, this Slow Cooker Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole is a crowd pleaser!
Have you ever made a breakfast casserole in the slow cooker? I have tried a few, the overnight crock pot egg dishes don’t turn out well for me, burnt and stinky by the time I wake up. Not something I want to serve to guests. This casserole takes only 2 hours and 15 minutes.
This turns out moist and perfectly cooked. If you want to make this for breakfast and you are not an early riser, brown the meat the night before, and prep everything else as well. When you wake up you can put this together with your eyes closed. I want to save you from an overnight egg disaster, do not try to cook this overnight.
I use sour cream instead of milk for the liquid in the egg mixture. It makes these eggs extra creamy and moist.
Below is what the casserole looks like after cooking, then a bit more cheese and green onions added.
I served this with sliced tomato since I am trying to cut my carbs. But this would be good with an English muffin or toast! We ate this for 2 days, the leftovers were just as good as the first day!
More breakfast recipes for your slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Slow Cooker Jalapeno Bacon Quiche
- Slow Cooker Farmers Breakfast Quiche
- Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa Gift Jars
Slow Cooker Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole
- Slow Cooker- 6 quart or larger-oval
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage browned and drained (Jimmy Dean or store brand)
- 8 oz. diced fire-roasted green chiles DRAIN VERY WELL! (two 4-oz. cans)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion plus more for serving
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place cooked sausage down in an even layer. Then sprinkle over 1 cup of cheese, green chiles and green onions.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Do not open the lid during the cooking time or you will risk the eggs not setting up correctly.
- After the cooking time is done add the remaining 1.5 cups of cheese and cover for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with additional green onion if desired and enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.