Slow Cooker Cream of Crab Soup is the perfect cool-weather comfort food. Jumbo lump crab meat, Old Bay seasoning, and a few other pantry staples are combined to create a homemade soup your family is sure to enjoy. Add this delicious soup to your next dinner plans, and thank me later.
Looking for another creamy soup to add to your meal plan? Check out my Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chile Relleno Soup. It’s another must-try as the temps drop and you need something warm and cozy to eat.
Why this cream of crab soup recipe works
This delicious soup calls for just a few common ingredients and a reasonable cooking time, which makes it a great idea when you need something on the fly. Crabmeat is a primary part of the recipe, but the flavor is going to come from a few other ingredients, especially the Old Bay seasoning.
This recipe may be small in ingredient count, but it is hearty, filling, and a great way to feed a crowd.
- Crab Meat: Jumbo lump crab meat is considered the premium grade, coming from the body of the crab and having no shell or cartilage. Fresh crab is best for this recipe, canned crab can have a fishy smell and flavor.
- Wet Ingredients: Heavy cream (labeled heavy whipping cream), milk, and butter each add their own unique flavor and texture to create this yummy seafood soup.
- Dry Ingredients: Cornstarch (helps to thicken the soup), salt, pepper, and bay seasoning.
Step One – Combine all of the ingredients, except the cornstarch and water, in the slow cooker.
Step Two – Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
Step Three – Add the cornstarch paste (cornstarch and water mixture) to the soup and cook on HIGH for another 10-15 minutes.
Step Four – Once the soup has thickened, serve immediately.
How to serve
- Toppings: If you have some crab left over, consider adding a few pieces on the top along with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, an extra dash of bay seasoning, and a handful of oyster crackers.
- Side Dishes: You may not consider serving a side with this soup, but here are a few to consider – bread sticks, sourdough bread, corn on the cob, or even a pasta salad.
- As-is: Of course, you can’t go wrong with serving this creamy crab soup as is. Simply put a couple of scoops in a bowl and serve.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
You sure can! Celery, onion (white or yellow), and diced potatoes are just a few additions that pair well with this crab soup recipe. Though, you will want to mince them very small for this recipe has a short cooking time.
Yes, clams can be added instead for a cream of clam soup.
When stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge, you can snack on it for up to 3 days. This is not an ideal soup to freeze.
This creamy soup can be reheated on the stovetop over medium to medium-high heat. Be sure to stir gently and occasionally.
With a recipe like this, boosting the flavor can be done by adding something acidic such as lemon juice, Sherry vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, or balsamic vinegar. You’d only need a couple of teaspoons of whichever you choose, and you can customize the soup to your preferences.
Slow Cooker Cream of Crab Soup
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ cup salted butter (1/2 stick)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. cold water to mix with cornstarch to make a paste
- saltines or oyster crackers optional
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the cornstarch and water, in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water, to make a paste.
- Add the cornstarch paste to the soup and cook on high for another 10-15 minutes, or until the soup thickens.
- Serve immediately with an extra sprinkle of Old Bay and crackers, if desired, and enjoy!
- Clams can be substituted for the crab.
- When stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge, you can snack on it for up to 3 days. This is not an ideal soup to freeze.
- This creamy soup can be reheated on the stovetop over medium to medium-high heat. Be sure to stir gently and occasionally.
- Celery, onion (white or yellow), and diced potatoes are just a few additions that pair well with this crab soup recipe. Though, you will want to mince them very small for this recipe has a short cooking time.
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.