Enchilada casserole made in the slow cooker with salsa, chicken and cream cheese!
I’m back in the kitchen making this fun Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole. Enchilada casseroles are very easy to make in the slow cooker. I changed things up this time and did not use enchilada sauce. I used salsa and cream cheese for the sauce. I made this twice in the last few weeks, it was that good! It may not win a beauty contest, though most slow cooker recipes don’t.
First, the chicken cooks all day with the salsa, nothing else gets added. I did not get a photo of that step, too early in the morning and I forgot. Below is after the chicken cooked all day and the cream cheese was added.
Then I add tortilla strips, a little cheese and a half a jar of olives, mixed that together.
Then I added more cheese and the rest of the can of olives.
Cover the slow cooker again, and cook for 45 minutes more to melt the cheese and get the casserole hot and bubbly.
This casserole makes a TON! It will serve about 8 hungry people.
More enchilada style recipes to make in the slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker Classic Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
This Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole was a hit at my house, I hope you enjoy it too. Have a great week!
Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole
This gets cooked all day
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 24 oz. jar pace picante mild salsa this is the huge jar
These things get added after 6-8 hours:
- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 16 oz. pkg. yellow corn tortillas (cut these into strips) it is 4 cups total after cut if you can't find the one-pound package.
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3.8 oz. can black olives drained and divided
- Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour over the salsa. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Plop the cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover for about 10 minutes to let it get soft. Meanwhile I take this time to shred the cheese and cut up the tortillas.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Stir the chicken, salsa and cream cheese together.
- Add the tortilla strips, 1 cup of cheese and 1/2 of the can of olives, stir. Flatten out this mixture. And wipe down the messy sides of the slow cooker with a paper towel. Top with remaining cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 more minutes or until the casserole is very hot in the center.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.