Hello! I’m back after taking some time off for the holidays. This was my first Christmas that I wasn’t delivering mail, or waitressing. Still very busy! We hosted my in-laws here on Christmas day, it went better than expected. We made prime rib and cracker barrel style cheesy hash brown potatoes. Everyone seemed to leave happy, which is all you can hope for.
I’m back in the kitchen making this fun Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole. Enchilada casseroles are very easy to make in the slow cooker. I changed things up this time and did not use enchilada sauce. I used salsa and cream cheese for the sauce. I made this twice in the last few weeks, it was that good! It may not win a beauty contest, though most slow cooker recipes don’t.
First the chicken cooks all day with the salsa, nothing else gets added. I did not get a photo of that step, too early in the morning and I forgot. Below is after the chicken cooked all day and the cream cheese was added.
Then I add tortilla strips, a little cheese and a half a jar of olives, mixed that together.
Then I added more cheese and the rest of the can of olives.
Covered the slow cooker again, and cooked for 45 minutes more to melt the cheese and get the casserole hot and bubbly.
This casserole makes a TON! It will serve about 8 hungry people.
You will see more enchilada casseroles on the blog in the future. Who doesn’t love a one pot meal?!
This Chicken, Salsa and Cream Cheese Enchilada Casserole was a hit at my house, I hope you enjoy it too. Have a great week!
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (24-oz.) jar mild pace picante salsa (this is the HUGE jar)
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. yellow corn tortillas (cut these into strips) it is 4 cups total after cut if you can't find the one pound package.
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (3.8-oz.) can black olives, drained and divided
- Slow Cooker Size: 6-quart oval
- Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour over the salsa. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Plop the cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover for about 10 minutes to let it get soft. Meanwhile I take this time to shred the cheese and cut up the tortillas.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Stir the chicken, salsa and cream cheese together.
- Add the tortilla strips, 1 cup of cheese and ½ of the can of olives, stir. Flatten out this mixture. And wipe down the messy sides of the slow cooker with a paper towel. Top with remaining cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 more minutes or until the casserole is very hot in the center.
- Serve and enjoy!
I used my oval 6-quart Crock Pot to make this casserole.
You may also like: Slow Cooker Refried Style Beans