Slow Cooker Pizza 15 Bean Soup
Hearty 15 bean soup flavored with sausage, thick cut pepperoni and everything else you would love about a pizza!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time5 hrs
Total Time5 hrs 30 mins
- 20 oz. pkg. Hurst'sⓇ HambeensⓇ 15 bean SoupⓇ mix (You can save the ham seasoning packet that is included in the package for another recipe, you won't need it in this recipe)
- 1 lb. Italian or breakfast sausage browned, crumbled, and drained of fat
- 5 oz. pepperoni (look for pepperoni that is not sliced) slice into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1½ cups mushrooms
- 3.8 oz. black olives drained
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes optional, this can be spicy
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 24 oz. jarred marinara or pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese (or parmesan)
- garlic bread
No need to pre-soak the beans in this recipe! Place the 15 bean soup mix in a strainer. Sort through the beans and discard any debris. Rinse with cold water. Drain off any excess water.
Add the rinsed beans to the slow cooker.
Add the sausage, pepperoni, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, olives, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth. DO NOT ADD MARINARA SAUCE YET.
Stir. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
When the cooking time is up, add the marinara (or pizza sauce), stir.
I do not think this recipe needs salt, but taste and decide if you think it does.
Top each bowl with shredded mozzarella and a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired.
Do I need to soak the beans?
- You do not need to presoak. Cooking the beans in the slow cooker on the high setting cooks them up perfectly. I do not soak any of my beans anymore.
- If you are used to soaking your beans and just can’t stop I understand! It was hard for me to make the changeover.
- To soak beans overnight: sort any debris from the beans, discard then pour over water to cover (plus a few extra inches of water). The next morning when ready to use, drain off the water and add the beans to the slow cooker and continue with the recipe.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1390mg | Potassium: 691mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3mg