Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
Chicken adobo made in the slow cooker, has tender chicken thighs in a flavorful broth.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 5 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white onion
- 3 garlic cloves left whole
- 3 small slices of peeled fresh ginger root (or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger)
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns (or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper)
Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add enough of the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Brown the chicken on both sides. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, chicken broth and onion. Pour this mixture over the chicken.
Add the garlic cloves, ginger slices, bay leaves and peppercorns on top of the chicken.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH 4 hours for without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Remove bay leaves, and garlic cloves if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
Yes, though bone-in dark meat works best for this recipe you can use pretty much any cut of chicken. Try to stick with around 2 pounds so there is plenty of sauce to flavor the chicken.
Can I make this into shredded chicken?
- Bone-in chicken breast
- Boneless skinless thighs or breasts
What goes good with chicken adobo?
- If you desire shredded chicken, remove the chicken on a plate. Remove and discard the skin.
- Shred the chicken off the bone and add back into the slow cooker with the sauce.
- This shredded chicken is great over rice.
Can I add bok choy into the slow cooker with the chicken?
Yes! Add 3-4 cups of sliced bok choy during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time.
- Steamed white rice
- Steamed green veggies such as asparagus, bok choy, sugar snap peas or broccoli
- Cauliflower rice for if you're watching your carbs. This chicken adobo is very low in carbs!
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 710mg | Potassium: 428mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.4mg