Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa
Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa made in the slow cooker with chipotle peppers, cloves and garlic!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 hrs
Total Time10 hrs 20 mins
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried leaf oregano (not ground)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 chipotle peppers minced(from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (this is the sauce from the can of chipotle peppers)
- ½ cup water
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the oil. Brown the chuck roast on all sides, then add the roast to the slow cooker
Sprinkle the roast with the salt, oregano, cumin and cloves. Add the bay leaves, minced garlic, minced chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce (that's from the can of peppers) on top the roast. Add the water around the sides of the roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
When the roast is done cooking, remove and discard the bay leaves. Shred the meat with 2 forks. If the meat is really fatty, I do the shredding on a plate so I can pick out the fatty pieces and discard them. Add the shredded meat back into the juices in the slow cooker.
Serve and enjoy!
How can I make this less spicy?
What can I make with this meat?
- Barbacoa is made spicy by the chipotle peppers and is the main ingredient for the flavor of this recipe.
- If you can't handle the heat you can cut this in half. If you omit this completely you will not have the true Chipotle flavored barbacoa.
Can I use chicken instead of beef for barbacoa?
- Burrito Bowls
- Can even be put into enchiladas or quesadillas
- Chicken breasts or thighs can be used instead of a beef chuck roast.
- You will need to add more salt if you use chicken for it has less flavor than a chuck roast.
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 863mg | Potassium: 565mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 4mg