Slow Cooker Beef Bone Broth
Beef bone broth easily made in the slow cooker with veggies, vinegar, garlic, ginger and lemon.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time12 hrs
Total Time12 hrs 20 mins
- 3-4 lbs. beef bones
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 2 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
Add after straining
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt (add to taste)
Preheat the oven to broil. Place the beef bones on a sheet pan. Place the bones under the broiler in the oven. I browned the bones on each side for about 5 minutes each. It depends on how close the bones are to the broiler.
Add the bones to the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, apple cider vinegar and water.
Cover and cook on low for 12 hours. You can cook longer if desired.
Place a strainer over a large bowl. Ladle the broth into the strainer and discard the bones and veggies. I like to push the veggies into the strainer to get the juices out of them.
Add grated ginger, lemon juice and salt to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate or freeze for later. Skim off fat if desired.
Can I add more water to fill my slow cooker?
Yes, leave about a half inch of room to prevent over spillage.
Can I freeze this?
Can I use this broth in soup recipes?
This broth can be used just like any other broth for your soup recipes.
- Yes, place into plastic or glass containers
- Leave an inch of room at the top to allow for expansion.
- Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Thaw in the fridge 24 hours before needed. Reheat in microwave or on the stovetop.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2074IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg